Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfers from 55 gallon drums

Hey everyone,
    I'm using a few of the drums I have pictured as fermentation tanks. Currently when I transfer out to kegs I am opening one of the bungs and using a self priming diaphragm pump. It has generally worked, but I don't like the idea of leaving them open during the time it takes to transfer. They don't hold pressure too well so a sealed transfer with co2 isn't really possible. Wondering if anyone has any tips or experience with these they can share.
    Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Do they hold pressure at all? You could keep using the pump, and just trickle CO2 into the other port with your regulator set for, like, 1 PSI. Heck, if you're using a blowoff bucket, you're probably getting more than 1 PSI during fermentation.

Comment

Originally posted by feinbera View Post
      Do they hold pressure at all? You could keep using the pump, and just trickle CO2 into the other port with your regulator set for, like, 1 PSI. Heck, if you're using a blowoff bucket, you're probably getting more than 1 PSI during fermentation.
      I tried that using a rubbee bung (you can see it in the picture) and a racking cane. First off, I can't find a racking cane that's quite long enough. Close, but not quite. (Mine is 30", can't find one longer). Secondly, the pressure of the co2 kept blowing the bung out. However, the bung isn't air tight when used with the racking cane, so I'm not sure trickling co2 would even be necessary to prevent a vacuum, but may help prevent oxidation.
      Thanks for your response!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X