Contract Brewing in Massachusetts - Licencing Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Brewing in Massachusetts - Licencing Requirements

We plan on contract brewing at a facility in Massachusetts later this year and want to start the process to get the necessary licenses required. It’s my understanding that in the state of Massachusetts if you are going to enter into a contract with a contract brewery you will need the following:

To contract with a contract brewery, a business will need the following licenses/permits:
    (1) either a Wholesalers License under M.G.L. c. 138, § 18; a Farmer-Brewery License under M.G.L. c. 138, § 19C; or a Manufacturer’s License under M.G.L. c. 138, § 19; and
    (2) a Transportation Permit under M.G.L. c. 138, § 22, in order to transport the alcoholic beverages from the contract brewer.

I think right now we are leaning towards applying for a Manufacturers License. – That said it is also my understanding that a pre-requisite to obtain a manufacturers license in Massachusetts is having a brewers notice from the TTB. Given that I believe we need to go in the following order.

1. Apply for Brewers Notice with TTB
    2. Upon Receipt / Approval of the Brewers Notice apply for Manufacturer’s License as well as a Transportation Permit.

Assuming my ordering is correct – when applying for the Brewers Notice it asks you to provide the location for the manufacturing of the product. If for example we plan on contracting with Ipswich Brewery – would I be using their address for that location and if so will I need to first have formally setup my contract agreement with them? If anyone is contract brewing in Massachusetts or has in the past I’d appreciate any feedback you may have. We will be meeting with the folks at Ipswich in the new couple of weeks so I'm sure they may have a lot of this information but I'd liker to try and get a better handle on it ahead of that meeting and if possible get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
    Bob Cook
    Off The Cuff Brewing
    Last edited by offthecuffbrew; 05-25-2018, 08:50 AM.
Working...
X