Over carbonated kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over carbonated kegs

We've been in a new 10bbl brewery for a month now and the first two batches carbonated fine and pour from the keg fine. However the next two batches are over carbonated because we slightly increased the pressure in the brite tanks. So we've been attaching a keg coupler to the keg and blowing off the head pressure twice a day for just two days now. I have since lowered the carb pressure through the carb stone on the brite tanks close to where the first two beers were. I have done this procedure when I was a homebrewer and it usually took about a week of releasing head pressure twice a day to get back to normal. Any other methods?

For degassing a keg, you need more head space, drop the pressure, shake it, drop the pressure, shake again... repeat until its where you want it. Long term solution, buy something to test carbonation off of the brite tank so you know what it is before you keg. A zahm, or even one of the cheaper ones. Many on here do not care for the taprite carbonation tester, we have had one for many years and it has been reliable, but its plastic so you have to treat it nicely.

Comment

A solution that I've used, that is a bit wasteful, but fast...

I overcarbed a batch of kegs recently, and when hooking up to the tap I would bleed off the head pressure a few times with the pull valve, and then just dump 5-7 glasses of beer/foam down the drain to start the keg. These kegs were carbed at about 14ish psi, and we usually carb at 12ish psi. If we were slow and had time, staff would pour foamy beers and slowly work the head off with multiple top-offs, but if we were busy and switching to a new keg, we just dumped a couple of pints off the top, with the regulator set to the correct pressure, and it corrected itself over the first 5-7 pours.

As I said, it is wasteful, but it got us where we needed to be quickly.

Good luck.

Comment

I just ordered the Zahm SS-60 Volume Meter so this will not happen again!!!

Comment

Unless I'm completely confused, the Zahm series 6000 is a piercing device for measuring carbonation in a can or bottle. You need the series 1000 device for testing carb. in brights or FVs.

For testing in kegs, I've just rigged a pressure gauge to a keg coupler. With the keg at a known temp, shake the keg until the pressure stabilizes, then use a P/T chart.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

You're confused. This is what I ordered:http://www.zahmnagel.com/shop/testin...-volume-meter/

Comment

Working...
            X