Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stout's pours like shaving foam

Hi,

We recently kegged a oatmeal/coffee stout. My helper kegged it at 2 volume of CO2 instead of the usual 1.6.
    We have beergas, and the pressure is around 35psi. The the pub is at the 2nd floor...

Now, when the pub staff pour glasses of stout, it's almost only a very thick foam.
    It settle at half of the glass and the remaining of the foam wont disappear.

I looks great! but as a client, you dont want a pint half full of foam.

Any advice?

Felix

Your grist provides the wort with too much beta-glucans. Raw or flaked oats and barley have significant beta-glucan content and can produce the pouring behavior you cite. You may need to back off the percentage of those types of grain in your recipe since its not commercially acceptable to have to deal with that much foaming. A beta-glucan rest might also be useful.

Good head is appealing, but excessive head leaves the customers and publican, limp.
    WaterEng
    Engineering Consultant

Comment

Sounds more like a gas pressure / beer temperature problem to me than a raw materials problem. Beer dispense setup is not my forte, but there are plenty of threads dealing with dispense problems and pressure temperature charts around. The brewer's association have produced documentation at www.draughtquality.org, - the draught beer quality manual. Also have a look for another BA sponsored presentation - presumably from one of the craft brewers conferences or similar - Understanding Dispense Gas, by Neil Witte.
      dick

Comment

Working...
      X