Champagne/Lager co-pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champagne/Lager co-pitch

I'm curious about something. We are about to do a collaboration on a lager (a really dry one it seems). It was proposed to use 10% champagne yeast when pitching the lager yeast. My concern was about the champagne yeast taking over. Lager yeast has a longer lag time and i'm worried about the champagne yeast going to town, even at 10%. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've co-pitched before, but not with lager/wine yeast.

Originally posted by Brewer Q View Post
    I'm curious about something. We are about to do a collaboration on a lager (a really dry one it seems). It was proposed to use 10% champagne yeast when pitching the lager yeast. My concern was about the champagne yeast taking over. Lager yeast has a longer lag time and i'm worried about the champagne yeast going to town, even at 10%. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've co-pitched before, but not with lager/wine yeast.
    Why was it proposed to use 10% champagne yeast? What type of lager is it?

If you are fermenting in the typical lager range, you may see little to no activity at all from the champagne yeast. The average Prisse de Mousse strain is going to have a lower limit of about 50*F.

Usually champagne yeast would be added to help salvage a stalled fermentation, to over come higher levels of alcohol, or to dry out the final product. It tends to have attenuation around the 90's. You can achieve these goals without using a champagne yeast. You can mash low, add amylase enzymes, pitch high, aerate well, and ferment warmer as some options.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
      Why was it proposed to use 10% champagne yeast? What type of lager is it?

If you are fermenting in the typical lager range, you may see little to no activity at all from the champagne yeast. The average Prisse de Mousse strain is going to have a lower limit of about 50*F.

Usually champagne yeast would be added to help salvage a stalled fermentation, to over come higher levels of alcohol, or to dry out the final product. It tends to have attenuation around the 90's. You can achieve these goals without using a champagne yeast. You can mash low, add amylase enzymes, pitch high, aerate well, and ferment warmer as some options.
      I agree with all that you said. It's a collab beer that the two other parties proposed. They wanted to dry it out as much as possible. I wondered about the effectiveness of the champagne yeast at lager temps too..I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels this way!

I'm thinking if we go through with this is to pitch the champagne yeast during the diacetyl rest, not as a co-pitch

Comment

Champagne yeasts produce a mycotoxin that is harmful to most brewing yeasts. Also, it won't ferment any sugars that your lager strain can't.

Comment

Working...
        X