Partnering with Restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partnering with Restaurant

Hi, our brewery is 1 year old and we're growing. We currently do no food and allow people to bring food in. We are looking at purchasing a building and partnering with a restaurant and/or having catering companies cater private parties versus doing the food ourselves. Money wise, what kind of deals are normal between breweries & third party food?

I know this is old but for anyone else wondering. I dont remember if it was a state law or federal but in January the rules changed and we were told having an outside business operating onsite is no longer allowed. We originally were looking to have a catering company use our kitchen as well.. we were told that these rules were going to start effecting the way a lot of foodtruck setups are being implemented as well. I assume they are going to start not allowing a person to park a foodtruck where people are allowed to be with beer in hand or something to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
      I know this is old but for anyone else wondering. I dont remember if it was a state law or federal but in January the rules changed and we were told having an outside business operating onsite is no longer allowed. We originally were looking to have a catering company use our kitchen as well.. we were told that these rules were going to start effecting the way a lot of foodtruck setups are being implemented as well. I assume they are going to start not allowing a person to park a foodtruck where people are allowed to be with beer in hand or something to that effect.

We experienced this. We go around it by having a very small kitchen with a microwave, refrigerator, 3 compartment sink and hand sink. This gets us a food license. We then had a larger kitchen that we rented to a restaurant. If you want a $5 Lipton cup of soup or a $5 plain microwaved hot dog, ask the bartender. If you want Chicken Wings or crab cake BLT or something delicious, go to the order window of the restaurant that is renting our big kitchen.

Comment

Depends on your license.

If your license is for brewery with no food requirement, you got alot of options. If food is required then you need to talk to licensing board.

Many states allow a license holder to let someone else do the cooking if you have a kitchen. If you dont have your own kitchen then that’s another story, but some states may allow a caterer/food truck to be your food supplier.

As for financials, most trucks ive seen/heard just get to come in for free. For an actual kitchen, you can rent it monthly, take a slice of gross sales, both, etc.

If you dont have food sevice operation experience id say to find a popular restaurant, hopefully one thats not too close to you, and see if theyd be interested in a satellite kitchen. Give them something like a one year lease and let it roll. After a while you can extend the lease, try someone new, or get your own chef/concept and have a go.

As for rates, maybe try looking up rents for a catering kitchen and doing something similar. Or even a vacant restaurant if you guys do the build out.

Comment

The laws really differ from state to state. In Oregon, for example, an bonafied eating establishment must be on premise in order to sell full pints at the brewery. Otherwise it is tasting and growler fills only. In California, it is also dependent on the license. However, I have seen a large brewery here in the bay area purchase their own food truck and sell on premise, and get around health inspections by having the "kitchen" be self contained. Food is purchased at the bar and the guest is given a buzzer. You go to the food truck and grab your grub when buzzed. Other locations that are a bit smaller have menu's available at the bar of local spots that deliver. There is usually not a surcharge as the restaurant receives sales from the brewery they would not otherwise receive and the brewery benefits in the obvious ways.

Comment

Oregon does not require food in a brewery-public house setting unless minors are present and then you must have an area where alcohol is not the focus, which typically brings food into the picture. Liquor changes all of that. I am looking at hosting rotating food carts/trucks at no cost to them. The variety can play into the pub experience with theme nights, beer pairings, etc. You also maintain some control over food quality (assuming your beer can draw a crowd on its own). If you create a complimentary relationship everyone wins! I am also planning on building a simple in-house kitchen, as described in a previous post, for later hours.
            The closest thing I've seen to what you are describing is a tap house that is physically adjacent to a pizza place or sub shop, with an order/pick up window in the tap house. That set up could work well if you can find it/create it.
            Last edited by torque2; 08-20-2019, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X