480v GFCI breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 480v GFCI breakers

What are people installing? I can find 30ma units for equipment protection but not 5 ma personnel protection. I would like to make sure someone doesn't accidentally take 480v power if an element fails.

Make sure your equipment is grounded to the ground busbar in the panel. This is code in most places, the equipment protection breaker will trip and protect everyone. As long as your employees are wearing shoes or boots, then they will be protected as well. The electricity will follow the least restrictive path to ground, which is not through a person wearing shoes or boots when you have a nice big ground wire. Only other time for a shock potential would be if the person is working directly with the element, but if that were the case, it should be locked out.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
      Make sure your equipment is grounded to the ground busbar in the panel. This is code in most places, the equipment protection breaker will trip and protect everyone. As long as your employees are wearing shoes or boots, then they will be protected as well. The electricity will follow the least restrictive path to ground, which is not through a person wearing shoes or boots when you have a nice big ground wire. Only other time for a shock potential would be if the person is working directly with the element, but if that were the case, it should be locked out.
      always best practice to do things like this or turning on breakers with your right hand as well as its not as direct current path to your heart as the left hand is... Odd but true... its one of the things in the electrical safety course I have to take every year at work.

Comment

Working...
      X