Thread: 1st batch on new 3bbl system, scaling question for ya!

1st batch on new 3bbl system, scaling question for ya!

About to brew the 1st batch on our 3bbl system and am a bit concerned about the scaling up from my 5 gal recipe. My tun is 150 gallons and, using beersmith to scale up, it tells me that it will take 220 lbs of grain? Seems like a lot to go in a 150 gal? With 220 lbs in there would anyone out there be able to give me a quick estimate as to how much water would fit with the grain? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardown View Post
    About to brew the 1st batch on our 3bbl system and am a bit concerned about the scaling up from my 5 gal recipe. My tun is 150 gallons and, using beersmith to scale up, it tells me that it will take 220 lbs of grain? Seems like a lot to go in a 150 gal? With 220 lbs in there would anyone out there be able to give me a quick estimate as to how much water would fit with the grain? Thanks
    Not sure if this helps, but i think I can usually fit about 125 lbs of grain and about 37 gallons of water in my 55 gal. Mash tun, it's way at the top, but fits.

We brew on a 3 barrel system, psychobrew 2 mash tuns, 2 boil kettles, and for our IPA we use about 105 lbs of grain at 85% efficiency for a 1.064 SG IPA. If we want to do high gravity beers we run both mash tuns off into 1 boil kettle and then empty the mash tuns and start all over again. Doing this we got 3 bbls of 12.7% abv Russian Imperial Stout.

https://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml might help with how much you can mash at once.

105 lbs for 3bbl? That seems like a low number? Are my scaling numbers way off? Other recipes I've seen for 3bbl are also in the 180-230 lb range,,, hmmm I know we can experiment it's just an expensive trial if we mess up! Ha

I brew on a 7 bbl. system and most of my recipes are between 370 - 550 lbs of grain, with an extraction efficiency of between 85-90 using promash. The lower the amout of grain the better the effciency.

Jim Lieb

Quote Originally Posted by Beardown View Post
    105 lbs for 3bbl? That seems like a low number? Are my scaling numbers way off? Other recipes I've seen for 3bbl are also in the 180-230 lb range,,, hmmm I know we can experiment it's just an expensive trial if we mess up! Ha
    Ahhh yes, we brew on a split system. 2 mash tuns, 2 boil kettles therefore double my amounts and we are about at 210 lbs of grain. Sorry for the confusion.. I was looking at the recipe for a 1.5 bbl batch and forgot to double it

Cambria Beer