Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiny/Nano Glycol Chiller recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny/Nano Glycol Chiller recommendations?

We're a brand new brewery running a 3 bbl system with 2 FV's and 1 BT. Currently we're using one of those small glycol chillers designed for tap-lines and it's pretty obvious we're going to need to upgrade before long. So I'm looking for recommendations for what brand/model we should consider.
    I'm currently eyeing up this 3/4 hp model from UBC:

Anybody using this chiller and if so are you happy with it?

Otherwise I'd like to hear other recommendations about other brands (Advantage? Pro Chiller? G&D? Other?) Bear in mind that we have no grand plans or desire to expand beyond possibly adding a 3rd FV - so we don't and never will need a 20-ton rooftop model or anything like that.

Originally posted by somenerve View Post
    We're a brand new brewery running a 3 bbl system with 2 FV's and 1 BT. Currently we're using one of those small glycol chillers designed for tap-lines and it's pretty obvious we're going to need to upgrade before long. So I'm looking for recommendations for what brand/model we should consider.
    I'm currently eyeing up this 3/4 hp model from UBC:

Anybody using this chiller and if so are you happy with it?

Otherwise I'd like to hear other recommendations about other brands (Advantage? Pro Chiller? G&D? Other?) Bear in mind that we have no grand plans or desire to expand beyond possibly adding a 3rd FV - so we don't and never will need a 20-ton rooftop model or anything like that.
    We've been using the 3/4 hp from UBC to run 4 3BBL single wall fermenters. So good so far. This was also purchased used from another brewery.

Comment

Originally posted by saltyturtlebeer View Post
      We've been using the 3/4 hp from UBC to run 4 3BBL single wall fermenters. So good so far. This was also purchased used from another brewery.
      Cool! How long does it take to cold-crash a batch with this guy?

Comment

I have been running 3 of those UBC 3/4 hp chillers for the past 2 years. Working great so far. 1 chills a 7bbl brite and a 4bbl brite. The other 2 run in parallel on 4 7bbl ferms and 2 4bbl ferms. I usually crash in stages for my process, 68-55, then 55-40, but each stage takes a few hours, maybe 4 hours or so. Should work great for your nano.

Good luck.

Comment

DIY Option

There's also the option to build your own from window air conditioners. Cost each would be $300-400. Works the same way as a normal glycol chiller. You'll just have to search around if this is something you're interested in, there's plenty of nano-breweries that use this option. The great thing about it is that if something happens to one, all you have to do is replace the air conditioner for a couple hundred bucks and it's like brand new and it isn't any less reliable than a commercial version. You can search around for sizing, but I imagine 1 or 2 8,000 BTU ACs would be more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by DGuggenb View Post
            There's also the option to build your own from window air conditioners. Cost each would be $300-400. Works the same way as a normal glycol chiller. You'll just have to search around if this is something you're interested in, there's plenty of nano-breweries that use this option. The great thing about it is that if something happens to one, all you have to do is replace the air conditioner for a couple hundred bucks and it's like brand new and it isn't any less reliable than a commercial version. You can search around for sizing, but I imagine 1 or 2 8,000 BTU ACs would be more than enough.
            Hmm - that's a thought. Lord knows I've done a lot of DIY stuff around here already. I will look into it.

Comment

One thing to be aware of with the beer line chillers: The pump is a positive-displacement pump, with no pressure switch or bypass. If your system isn't well designed, particularly with a bypass regulator between the two sides of the system, you can literally blow things up.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Ubc

I sell a lot of the UBC units for draft line cooling. They are very reliable for their price. I actually just re-purposed one for a draft install for a breweries new location. It came from their brewhouse and had chilled 3bbl fermenters for 4-5 years. Still going strong. Get the 3/4HP with dual pumps. The second pump is only about $200 from Foxx. There is a write up on this site on how to hook it up.

Comment

you can get a bypass regulator from tractor supply. its in the pressure washer parts department. they had two- ones plastic, ones aluminum. NPT threads. 0-300psi i believe. no blowups like TGTim is talking about. some folks just use a gate valve or a partially closed ball valve.

Comment

Working...
                  X