Acetaldehyde reduction in lagers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetaldehyde reduction in lagers

I am fortunate to have been brewing for a long time but still am learning every day. With a small brewery budget and limited instrumentation I have to rely on much smarter people than me for many of the questions that keep me up at night. As I understand it, the acetaldehyde reduction in lagers or at least in mine is pretty much the last thing I am waiting on before I can begin to cool the uni tanks. I don't have horizontals and I believe its reduction happens best like VDK with healthy yeast when the sugars are running out. If I had the ability, I think I would krausen with fresh yeast upon transferring to a horizontal tank to finish out consistently and with short maturation times. Neither are a consistent option for our brewery right now. Is that correct to assume it would be ideal? If so, has anyone played with using dry yeast to krausen at the end of fermentation? I have not experienced anything great from dry yeast yet but I know many brewers prefer it. Just curious if anyone has really tested and quantified its use at the end of primary fermentation to help move the lager along.

Im not sure it matters but I pitch at 9C, ferment at 11C and allow it to rise to 13C when terminal is reached.
Working...
X