Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Fruit Puree after Fermentation / Yeast Issues

Hello,

We are about to undertake a Strawberry Blonde Ale. We would prefer to add an aseptic strawberry puree after fermentation so that it could be on the sweeter side. My concern is any residual yeast + sugar + cans + improperly stored outside the brewery at warm temperatures = over fermentation / explosion!

Is there any technique to kill off the residual yeast. So far my thought is to re-boil after primary fermentation, transfer to brite, and add puree.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

"re-boil after primary fermentation"

You mean pasteurizing I hope and not just running it back into the kettle to boil.

Finings, chrashing, filtering, then sodium Bisulphate/potassium sorbate would probably do the trick. What ever you do just be sure to pull a sample and see if you can force a referment before adding the puree.

Really though why not just get your sweetness from unfermentable sugars and let the fructose ferment out?

Comment

Originally posted by populuxe View Post
      Really though why not just get your sweetness from unfermentable sugars and let the fructose ferment out?
      Sometimes you need a second pair of eyes to get the best solution. Thank you!

Comment

An aseptic puree won't really jump start any cans after. Ideally you would add puree, drop temp to 50 for a few days, then to 33-35. Transfer to bright vessel and avoid getting any yeast over. If you are really worried, after you drop temp, you could always dump out bottom till you just see beer, then transfer for canning. I've used aseptic puree for over two years now, and the only issue with canning had been if yeast made it into cans and then they warmed up, but with proper procedures that was less than a case of cans in hundreds if not thousands.

Comment

Boiling would also cook off the alcohol...this is how non alcoholic beer is made.

Comment

Working...
          X