Thread: Adding Fruit Puree after Fermentation / Yeast Issues

Adding Fruit Puree after Fermentation / Yeast Issues

Hello,

We are about to undertake a Strawberry Blonde Ale. We would prefer to add an aseptic strawberry puree after fermentation so that it could be on the sweeter side. My concern is any residual yeast + sugar + cans + improperly stored outside the brewery at warm temperatures = over fermentation / explosion!

Is there any technique to kill off the residual yeast. So far my thought is to re-boil after primary fermentation, transfer to brite, and add puree.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

"re-boil after primary fermentation"

You mean pasteurizing I hope and not just running it back into the kettle to boil.

Finings, chrashing, filtering, then sodium Bisulphate/potassium sorbate would probably do the trick. What ever you do just be sure to pull a sample and see if you can force a referment before adding the puree.

Really though why not just get your sweetness from unfermentable sugars and let the fructose ferment out?

Quote Originally Posted by populuxe View Post
    Really though why not just get your sweetness from unfermentable sugars and let the fructose ferment out?
    Sometimes you need a second pair of eyes to get the best solution. Thank you!