Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cacao nibs in secondary

Hi,
    I'm planning to use some cacao nibs into my stout. I've planned adding them in secondary.
    How do you guys use them? Do you simply toss them into the beer at fermentation temperature? Is there any infection risk doing it? What's your experience?
    I've heard people soaking the cacao nibs into rum to avoid any infection risk...

As always, thank you for your help!

We've had good results with soaking ours in vodka. Just enough to moisten the nibs, soak overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyrb1 View Post
      We've had good results with soaking ours in vodka. Just enough to moisten the nibs, soak overnight.
      Not sure if that is "TTB" approved.

We use Cholaca, amazing product! Used during transfer to brite.

Comment

Originally posted by saltyturtlebeer View Post

How much would you recommend using per bbl. for a noticeable but not overpowering chocolate flavor in say a 7% American porter?

Comment

Originally posted by saltyturtlebeer View Post

Thanks for the tip but I'm from Europe and Cholaca is not yet an option here.

Anyone has tried to directly toss the cacao nibs into the beer? Feedbacks?
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Paluppo View Post
            Thanks for the tip but I'm from Europe and Cholaca is not yet an option here.

Anyone has tried to directly toss the cacao nibs into the beer? Feedbacks?
            Thanks!
            We do a blonde coffee stout and toss the cacao nibs in after fermentation and haven't had any issues with infection or off flavors.(hope I didn't jinx it)
            Cheers!
            Angry Fish Brewing Co
            Lake Murray SC
            We Drink All We Can and Sell the Rest

Comment

Just use a muslin bag. The nibs can lock up and have a hard time coming out.

I like to tie a string and suspend my additives half way in the tank. Generally right in front of the manway for easy removal later.

Comment

We soak in local Guaro (virgin rum). Never had a problem. I fill a container just enough to cover the nibs, then add all to the tank after a couple days. I've never picked up hot flavors or anything out of the ordinary, despite adding guaro.

Just our experience.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
                  Just use a muslin bag. The nibs can lock up and have a hard time coming out.

I like to tie a string and suspend my additives half way in the tank. Generally right in front of the manway for easy removal later.
                  Are you putting the cacao nibs into the muslin bag without previously soaking them into spirt, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Paluppo View Post
                    Are you putting the cacao nibs into the muslin bag without previously soaking them into spirt, right?
                    I have done both. Spirits do not sanitize as well as some would have you believe. In fact, molds can grow in liquor bottles. I believe you need to be above 70% (140 proof) to kill organisms effectively.

With that said, spirits will help, even if not totally killing all organisms. I like bourbon with my Cacao personally, but some circumstances call for just cacao.

Nibs are roasted during processing and are fairly dry (low moisture content). Both of these help reduce the chance of contamination when using raw nibs.

Comment

I've recently soaked nibs with vodka, and added them in secondary. Foam is considerably decreased (alcohol extracs fats, decreasing surface tension) and now the beer is unwatchable after 2 mins in the glass.

Comment

Usually get them raw and then mill and toast prior to use. You really see the colour change and aroma develop as they heat up.
                        Untoasted they don't give a lot up. At home I mill, spread thinly and just use the oven.
                        At work we use a sheet of metal, propane and a shovel and it is a hilarious day.
                        I like to think that the toasting helps sanitise them, 15-20m at 120C typically.
                        I've soaked them before in alcohol (tends to vanish into them, seems like you need a lot) and I've used them unsoaked.
                        I've left beer on them before packaging. I've added them to fermentation near the end. I've packaged in cask with them. Never had an infection from any method, but I could just be very very lucky. I'm slightly terrified and we are canning a beer shortly and the shelf life is what it is compared to cask.
                        Can never understand why I don't get the same result from coca powder or cocoa powder. Both are the solids with the fat removed right? You'd think you get the same flavour, but no.

Comment

I've had the best success adding the nibs to the mash for a subtle flavor. In secondary, we would use a muslin bag and try and tie them around an interior pipe so they don't clog your valves. Seal her up and purge and you should be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                          X