Can Fill Weight Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Fill Weight Chart

Does anyone have a can fill chart made up showing what a properly filled can should weigh for 12 and 16oz based on final gravity? If so we would love to see it as to not have to reinvent the wheel!

Originally posted by briangaylor View Post
    Does anyone have a can fill chart made up showing what a properly filled can should weigh for 12 and 16oz based on final gravity? If so we would love to see it as to not have to reinvent the wheel!
    No need for a chart. It’s real simple math. Water weighs one GM per ML. If your final gravity is 1.010, then 355 (ML or GM per 12oz) x 1.010 = 358.55gm of liquid weight for a full can. Add your can and lid weight for a gross total. Generally about 13-15 GM.

As you can see, even a beer that finishes at 6*P (~1.024) is only about 8 GM heavier than plain water. I just fill all beers to about 375-376 in can myself. The savings of shaving a few grams per can is not worth the risk or DO pick up in my mind. Also I like to keep it simple for the packaging crew. 2% or less is a reasonable difference in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by briangaylor View Post
      Any luck with this?

Comment

Multiply 355 grams by the final gravity of your beer, then add the tare weight of the can and the lid. Use specific gravity and not plato or something – SG's look like 1.012 because they mean "a volume of beer at this gravity weighs 1.012 times as much as the same volume of water." This is why you can just multiply the known weight of 12 oz of water (355 grams) by the final gravity.

(use 473 grams instead of 355 for your 16 oz tallboys)

Comment

Originally posted by nodstonothing View Post
          Any luck with this?

Here is what we came up with. We either do brite 16oz cans with stickers or sleeved 12oz cans. Once you know the weight of your non-liquid components you could update this chart.

For beer weight the formula is just SG multiplied by the volume. Total weight was the goal weight. If the goal is 495g we consider 489 a low fill but 490 to be the minimum accepted weight.

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	191773

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you! Brian Gaylor
            Scott Swygert
            Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

Comment