Thread: Can Fill Weight Chart

Can Fill Weight Chart

Does anyone have a can fill chart made up showing what a properly filled can should weigh for 12 and 16oz based on final gravity? If so we would love to see it as to not have to reinvent the wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by briangaylor View Post
    Does anyone have a can fill chart made up showing what a properly filled can should weigh for 12 and 16oz based on final gravity? If so we would love to see it as to not have to reinvent the wheel!
    No need for a chart. It’s real simple math. Water weighs one GM per ML. If your final gravity is 1.010, then 355 (ML or GM per 12oz) x 1.010 = 358.55gm of liquid weight for a full can. Add your can and lid weight for a gross total. Generally about 13-15 GM.

As you can see, even a beer that finishes at 6*P (~1.024) is only about 8 GM heavier than plain water. I just fill all beers to about 375-376 in can myself. The savings of shaving a few grams per can is not worth the risk or DO pick up in my mind. Also I like to keep it simple for the packaging crew. 2% or less is a reasonable difference in my book.