Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: USAF Vehicle Mechanic Veteran seeking job opportunities

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spangdahlem Germany
    Posts
    7

    Question USAF Vehicle Mechanic Veteran seeking job opportunities

    Good morning/afternoon/evening.

    My name is Boris and I'm currently a United States Air Force Active Duty Vehicle Mechanic that is approaching the 15 yr mark in my career. I am most likely separating from the service in November of this year and I want to use my experience as a mechanic and as a supervisor and see if I would fit in the craft beer industry as either a Maintenance Manger or Technician at breweries looking to fill those positions. Below is a quick hit list of my skills and experience doing what I do for the Air Force.

    Mid-tier level management(E-5 pay grade) of lower grade members for the last 8 years, 2010 to present. I have ran mulitple shops as the main supervisor across 2 military installations.
    Skills include work in MS Office with Excel, Outlook, Word, and minimal with Powerpoint. I was a certified welder from 2006 to 2008. I lost my certification due to not having any welding jobs for more than 6 months. I still posses the knowledge of how to weld using MIG, TIG, Arc welding(Stick welding, SMAW).
    Mechanical skills include troubleshooting most makes of vehicles across different applications such as: pick up trucks, sedans, vans, special purpose vehicles, aircraft tow vehicles, tractor trailer combos, forklifts from electrical 4k warehouse style up to All Terrain 10k CAT or John Deere makes or styles. This includes electrical and reading schematics of vehicles. Removing and replacing of parts on the same vehicles as well.

    I, however, have never worked in the beer industry in any capacity. I have been passionate about this industry since 2006 when I moved on from Coors light to Sam Adams light from recommendation of my cousin who said "if you want a flavorful light beer, you should stop with the water and drink Sam's light". The rest is history. I began homebrewing 2 years later after nerding out on the flavors of various beers our breweries were creating. I needed to know how I was tasting caramel, orange and grapefruits, mangos, peppercorn, coriander, and bananas in a beer with the use of any of those specific ingredients. I still homebrew to this day. I have only won 2 medals. I entered a Classic America Pils and took Gold and Bronze in 2 different competitions in 2 different states, NM and NC, respectively. I do not hold any brewing certification nor have I attended any classes on the matter.

    I made this post to see what are my chances as getting hired in the industry for the maintenance manager or technician positions I have found on here and on indeed.com. I don't want to waste any HR's time or my time if I don't stand a chance on getting hired.

    I do have a resume and cover with all my latest assignments and positions. I need to re-format it as it's not perfect but it does cover all the assignments I've had and positions I held there along with quick general duties I performed.

    Thank you for making it this far in the post. Hope you have a great rest of your day.

    **Mods, if this isn't within the rules or deemed inappropriate, please take it down. It is not my intention and I'm sorry.**

    EDIT 1: Relocating is not an issue. My family and I are accustomed to it with the military life and all. We are east coasters, Maryland to be exact, but if it means I have job to provide for my family and home to live in, pretty much anywhere is on the table.
    Last edited by BRCastillo; 06-28-2018 at 12:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minocqua WI
    Posts
    792
    Are you still in Germany? Id possibly be happy to take you on for the rest of the summer as an paid apprentice and get you some brewery experience. I might even have cheep accommodations for you.
    Otherwise there are many large and regional breweries in need of a good maintenance guy, especially one with a passion for beer. There are also many that need one but don't know it. :-) Get a copy of the most recent American Brewer with the industry survey and contact Breweries making 10K barrels a year and above.
    BTW -Indeed is not good for brewing jobs but the MBAA and BA sites are if you join.
    If you want to get on the brewing side, a Brewer who is also strong on mechanical is always a good hire. Look at using your GI Bill to attend brewing school. http://www.abgbrew.com That's a big separator for me when hiring.
    Good Luck and Semper Fi!
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6

    Red Rock Brewing Co. Electromechanical Technician - SLC, UT

    Good morning Boris,

    We've got an opening you might be interested in:

    https://www.ksl.com/jobs/listing/799599

    Feel free to reply to the ad, or email me your resume: chrism@redrockbrewing.com

    Cheers,
    Chris

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spangdahlem Germany
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Briggs View Post
    Are you still in Germany? Id possibly be happy to take you on for the rest of the summer as an paid apprentice and get you some brewery experience. I might even have cheep accommodations for you.
    Otherwise there are many large and regional breweries in need of a good maintenance guy, especially one with a passion for beer. There are also many that need one but don't know it. :-) Get a copy of the most recent American Brewer with the industry survey and contact Breweries making 10K barrels a year and above.
    BTW -Indeed is not good for brewing jobs but the MBAA and BA sites are if you join.
    If you want to get on the brewing side, a Brewer who is also strong on mechanical is always a good hire. Look at using your GI Bill to attend brewing school. http://www.abgbrew.com That's a big separator for me when hiring.
    Good Luck and Semper Fi!
    I am still in Germany actually and will be until the weekend before Thanksgiving.

    I want to use a VA Certification "grant" we get once in our career which enables us to get certified in a trade up to $4700. I have tried to apply for the Brewers Guild Apprentice Program out of CO but the distance learning is filled 1 yr and a half out from any open application window. Not knowing my future in the AF, that wasn't viable, and the possibility of being deployed to a location with minimal internet access would mean it would go to waste.

    I hope to be able to use my some of GI bill when we arrive back in the states and attend a school or a program to get the certification or degree I want and need. It is on the "docket". Really all depends on where we end up.

    I would LOVE to get any commercial experience here before we leave. I have about 3 local breweries near my location. Brauhaus Zils, Petrusbrau, and Kraft Brau, all within a 30 min drive. We are in Western Germany, about 45 mins from Luxembourg and Belgium borders. Really amazing location for beer lovers like myself. If you are in Germany, where about's are you? If not, thank you very much for the offer and maybe if my family and I end up near your place, I'll see if you need any maintenance work

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spangdahlem Germany
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmccombs View Post
    Good morning Boris,

    We've got an opening you might be interested in:

    https://www.ksl.com/jobs/listing/799599

    Feel free to reply to the ad, or email me your resume: chrism@redrockbrewing.com

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Thank you Chris for the job posting but the link isn't working for some reason. It just stalls and nothing shows up.

    I checked out your home page and WOW. 1994?!! That's incredible and congratulations passing 20+ years. I'm flattered that the COO of a brewery reached out to me on this "feeler" post that felt like it was too long. It really brought a smile to my face this evening. Thank you so much.

    Once the link works, I will definitely check out the job description. Relocating isn't an issue considering I've uprooted my family 3 times now in the last 8 years. It's kind of a thing I do I will edit my original post mentioning that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BRCastillo View Post
    Thank you Chris for the job posting but the link isn't working for some reason. It just stalls and nothing shows up.

    I checked out your home page and WOW. 1994?!! That's incredible and congratulations passing 20+ years. I'm flattered that the COO of a brewery reached out to me on this "feeler" post that felt like it was too long. It really brought a smile to my face this evening. Thank you so much.

    Once the link works, I will definitely check out the job description. Relocating isn't an issue considering I've uprooted my family 3 times now in the last 8 years. It's kind of a thing I do I will edit my original post mentioning that.
    Yes we've been at it a while now! Looking to grow, and we are in need of an experienced ET. I clicked on the link and it worked for me, so let's try it again and if it doesn't work I'd be happy to email you a .pdf of the posting:

    http://www.ksl.com/jobs/listing/799599

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Fort Bragg, CA
    Posts
    20

    Job opening

    Hi Boris,

    I have hired many brewers through Pro-Brewer but never a mechanic. Recently, we have been searching to fill a need for a supervisor/mechanic on our bottling line so decided check Pro-Brewer to see if there were any candidates offering services. As far as I can tell, you are the only one and it seems that the timing is perfect since you posted just today. I'd like to discuss the position we have here at the North Coast Brewing Co with you if you are interested. Can you send me an e-mail at patrick@northcoastbrewing.com ?

    Thank you,

    Patrick Broderick
    Brewmaster- North Coast Brewing Co.
    Fort Bragg CA
    Patrick Broderick
    Brewmaster
    North Coast Brewing Co.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spangdahlem Germany
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmccombs View Post
    Yes we've been at it a while now! Looking to grow, and we are in need of an experienced ET. I clicked on the link and it worked for me, so let's try it again and if it doesn't work I'd be happy to email you a .pdf of the posting:

    http://www.ksl.com/jobs/listing/799599
    Thank you again Chris.

    I tried the link on my Gov PC and it worked so it's leading me to believe it's something with our internet at the house that isn't jiving with the link. I'll read over it before I leave for the day.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spangdahlem Germany
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Broderick View Post
    Hi Boris,

    I have hired many brewers through Pro-Brewer but never a mechanic. Recently, we have been searching to fill a need for a supervisor/mechanic on our bottling line so decided check Pro-Brewer to see if there were any candidates offering services. As far as I can tell, you are the only one and it seems that the timing is perfect since you posted just today. I'd like to discuss the position we have here at the North Coast Brewing Co with you if you are interested. Can you send me an e-mail at patrick@northcoastbrewing.com ?

    Thank you,

    Patrick Broderick
    Brewmaster- North Coast Brewing Co.
    Fort Bragg CA
    Hi Patrick.

    Thank you for the interest.

    I can send you an email later this evening, it's 2:16pm here and our day is almost done, and we'll talk about the job and other stuff pertaining to it.

    Edit* I'm sorry for not complimenting and thank you for the amazing beers your brewery produce. I've only had your staples but Le Merle and Brother Thelonious were fantastic the last time I had them almost 5 years ago now. We came from NM before we moved to Germany and our local grocery stored carried them and I loved them. So again thank you.
    Last edited by BRCastillo; 06-29-2018 at 07:40 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada USA
    Posts
    468

    Record Street

    Contact Record Street Brewery in Reno Nevada They just took delivery of a complete system. Great opportunity to start from ground up.

    Lance 775.997.6411
    lancejergensen@gmail.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spangdahlem Germany
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by nohandslance View Post
    Contact Record Street Brewery in Reno Nevada They just took delivery of a complete system. Great opportunity to start from ground up.

    Lance 775.997.6411
    lancejergensen@gmail.com
    Thank you very much for the information. I will look into it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Fort Bragg, CA
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by BRCastillo View Post
    Hi Patrick.

    Thank you for the interest.

    I can send you an email later this evening, it's 2:16pm here and our day is almost done, and we'll talk about the job and other stuff pertaining to it.

    Edit* I'm sorry for not complimenting and thank you for the amazing beers your brewery produce. I've only had your staples but Le Merle and Brother Thelonious were fantastic the last time I had them almost 5 years ago now. We came from NM before we moved to Germany and our local grocery stored carried them and I loved them. So again thank you.
    Great! I'll be here all day. Talk to you soon.
    Patrick Broderick
    Brewmaster
    North Coast Brewing Co.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •