In parallel or in series??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In parallel or in series??

We are setting up our glycol loop and I'm just wondering if we would be better off having the glycol enter the bottom of the cone first than out the top of the cone, into the bottom of upper jacket, and out the top, or have the glycol enter both the cone and upper jacket at the same time? we have one 10BBL and four 7BBLs.

First of all, you want the glycol flow to go from top to bottom of each jacket not the other way around. Going from bottom to top can cause thermal stratification. Have the glycol enter both jackets at the same time (branch off to the cone just before entering the side jacket.) Never flow out one jacket directly into another. Doing that means that you would be reintroducing the thermal energy "heat" that you just removed right back into the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Standard plumbing for the tanks is bottom to top. For 10bbl tanks, I run bottom jacket into top jacket in series, I can do this in 20bbl tanks as well, though it is less efficient. I would say parallel is better once the volume goes above 20bbl. On larger tanks, like 40bbl where they may have 3 jacketed zones, you will want to have multiple temperature probes and control of the zones independently.

One of the key reasons you plumb a tank from bottom to top, aside from being more efficient with cooling is that in many glycol systems, the tank is open or has a headspace which can allow air to become churned into the glycol. These air bubbles will find their way to the highest point in the system, and on the tanks that is the top port. You will eventually restrict flow and cooling by filling the jackets with air that can not escape. If the top port is the return port, then the air escapes easily.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Bottom of Jacket to the top.
          Enter both jackets separately.
          Put manual valves on the inflow of both jackets and actuated ball valves (not solenoids) on the main after its splits from the header.
          Best - put a 3-valve bypass around these for servicing.
          Put manual vales at the header for both in and out so you can isolate the tanks.
          Insulate and wrap all lines - or best, use Cool-fit piping.
          Use PT-100 temp. Sensors.
          If you do use solenoids, make sure they are 0 differential.
          Put air bleed valves on the high point of each tank and on the return of the header.
          Put a manual bypass in the header to control pressure and have constant flow even when all tanks are shut.
          Run your qlycol at 27f to crash to 33f.
          If you do have a problem with Temp. stratification, crash to 40f overnight (maximum density) and then take it to 33f the next afternoon.
          Any more and ill have to charge you a consultation fee...HA!
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this subject. Here's how I've done it the past 15 years, with no issues.

1. Into the bottom cone jacket first, then out to the next highest side jacket. Our 40's and 80's only have one side jacket, so from there return to the header. Our 120's and 200's have two side jackets, so I run those two jackets in parallel, so we can isolate the top jacket if for some reason we didn't fill the tank up completely. I like going into the bottom cone jacket first, and in series with the other jackets, because that is where the yeast cake will be and that's what needs the most cooling.
            2. I like to use copper for the tanks, and Cool Fit for the main loops. My reasoning, someone moving a ladder around could hit the tank lines and break them off if it were CoolFit. Plus, any local plumber can repair a copper line in an emergency, not many are familiar with CoolFit.
            3. We use Asco Red Hat solenoids, make sure that you have valves before it. Make sure it's a zero differential.
            4. Make sure to keep your glycol percentage up where your chiller manufacturer recommends. It depends on what refrigerant you are running.
            Linus Hall
            Yazoo Brewing
            Nashville, TN
            www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

programing the perlick 4400

Does any one have information on how to program the perlick 4400 series. I have downloaded every pdf on this subject and no luck. I will be buying a new chiller soon to move 2 1o bbl tank plus the 2 (3.5) I am running now. i have been able to get to 63 degrees but the display give me a HA,HA and blinks. I will like to start my operation with what I have because new equipment will take several month to arrived and I need to start !!

thanks.

ps. sorry to hijack this thread.

Charles

Comment

Working...
              X