Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need for Air Compressor at 1-2BBL Scale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need for Air Compressor at 1-2BBL Scale?

Looking to save costs where possible, is there really any use for an air compressor at this scale? I figure we could just buy more C02 and use that for where we would occasionally use compressed air, like the purge between keg washing cycles. The set up is unitanks and kegs, all taproom sales. With that small of unitanks, I doesn't seem like we don't need compressed air for purging C02 before caustic. Is there any other essential use of compressed air that I might be overlooking?

Thanks!

If you are cleaning your kegs with caustic the CO2 use could be an issue, I would talk with your chemical provider to check it out in advance.

Comment

talk to Dana a Birko, he set me up with cleaning chemical/regimen for an all CO2 enviroment for kegs.

Comment

I work at an 8 BBL brewpub that runs on all CO2, so, it can be done!

For tank CIP, we'll spray water in the top and drain from the bottom of the cone to help disperse CO2 before we run caustic – it's done when it passes the highly scientific "smell test." For kegs, we just don't use caustic – it's bad for the seals, anyway – we use Loeffler's KMS-10, which doesn't interact with CO2 (I imagine this is just Loeffler's equivalent what brewmaster's got from Birko).

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
          talk to Dana a Birko, he set me up with cleaning chemical/regimen for an all CO2 enviroment for kegs.
          Thanks, I forgot to mention in the OP that I would look into caustic that can run effectively in Co2.

Comment

Originally posted by SoSB View Post
            Thanks, I forgot to mention in the OP that I would look into caustic that can run effectively in Co2.
            CO2 neutralizes alkaline detergents. It won't clean effectively in a CO2 atmosphere. for tanks you can open up all the valves and manway for 20 minutes to let to CO2 settle out but as far a kegs you you will need one. I used a 30 gal compressor on a home made keg washer and used CO2 to push out the sanitizer and purge/pressurize the kegs.

Comment

Working...
            X