Hot water GPM for 3bbl??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water GPM for 3bbl??

I'm going to be installing an on demand water heater to supply our hot hater for our 3bbl brewhouse. What's the minimum GPM output I should be looking for? I'm assuming somewhere in 6 GPM range would be good.

We ran a 4BBL on a system that was 6 GPM and it worked great. We mashed in and sparged straight from it.

Comment

How were you measuring the amount of water you were using for sparging/ mashing?

Comment

Originally posted by Rushstop View Post
        How were you measuring the amount of water you were using for sparging/ mashing?
        You don't really need to know how much water is going into the mash/lauter tun for continuous sparging. You're going to stop sparging based off of either the amount of wort collect in kettle, run-off gravity, pH, or a combination of these depending on your techniques.

However, the amount of strike water does matter. An inline flow meter can be used but they're not 100% accurate, as far as I know. Another way to do it could be to add an insulated storage tank with a sight glass that's large enough for your system. Than fill it with the measured amount of water based off of the calibrated sight glass and mash-in from the tank. The water going into the tank needs to be hot enough though to allow for the heat loss caused by the tank. We're still not sure ho we're going to do it.

Comment

Working...
        X