Employees skimming/stealing tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employees skimming/stealing tips

So we are a new busy brew pub. We expected employee stealing. As a brew pub tip-out goes to the food runner/bus boy and kitchen so tip stealing effects everyone.

In less than 2 weeks we caught a stealer. How are you managing and monitoring tip stealing?

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
    So we are a new busy brew pub. We expected employee stealing. As a brew pub tip-out goes to the food runner/bus boy and kitchen so tip stealing effects everyone.

In less than 2 weeks we caught a stealer. How are you managing and monitoring tip stealing?
    Call police, press charges, fire employee. There should be no tolerance for theifs.

Comment

If 100% confirmed as the theft, absolutely fire them. Their actions will become cancerous and give other employees the false impression that it is tolerated. Once the employee is fired, immediately inform the other employees as a company meeting as to why they were fired. The employees need to know that you as the manager has their back and it lets those who may be inclined to steal, it will not be tolerated. Have this an all hands on deck meeting. Do not rely on other managers or employees to pass along the message.

Comment

Servers tips can not be shared with back of the house unless those cooks, dishwashers, bus boys... would also be a servers.

Comment

First off, definitely check to see if tip-pooling is legal in your state. If not, than every server's tips belong just to him/her. Secondly, fire the stealing bozo and have a staff-wide meeting JUST addressing that employee's actions. Tell your employees the policy is zero tolerance towards stealing and you do prosecute.
          If this doesn't work then publicly advertise your servers do not accept tips from customers, but you will need to pay them a living wage.

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am in Canada so the laws are different. Perhaps the word expecting is was poor, I meant I expected it to happen eventually just not so soon.

I was on the fence of telling the whole staff or not as it could be considered slander. This server had one more shift (the shift I confronted her) and at the end of that shift she stole again. When I confronted her with the evidence she started crying, blaming others, blaming personal crisis, and then she quit as we were navigating the conversation as she felt cornered.

In Canada we cant do much with the theft and police, they ask you file small claims which is a bear trap.

Comment

I did that once in front of the staff to set an example.

Comment

In Canada we cant do much with the theft and police, they ask you file small claims which is a bear trap.
                I beg to differ. If you have an employee who is a thief within your walls, you can call the police and have them arrested and charged with theft, if you wish. It may take some time for the charge to come up in a court of law, but it will.

Ensure you have all the pertinent information, contact names and number of witnesses, camera footage if possible etc., before you call them in. Have had occasion to pursue such a few times over the decades.

I tolerate neither thiefs nor liars. The former may get you arrested, the latter will get you fired.

It's all spelled out in the employee handbook which all new employees must read, understand and sign off on prior to beginning employment.

Pax.

Liam
                Liam McKenna
                www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                X