THP in dry hopped sours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THP in dry hopped sours?

Cheers friends, I've had some questions regarding possible THP in our dry hopped sour/brett beers. I know its a relatively newer topic and not a whole lot is understood about it but I seem to be getting hints of THP in a few of our barrel aged, dry hopped brett/ sour beers post carbonation. It does not seem to be present at all in any of our barrels when we sample them and only seems to pop up after dry hopping in the BBT and kegging. We've been using a strain of Brett Brux for the golden sours in question and I've been adding dry hops to the brite tank and then treating it as I would for any IPA to minimize O2 pickup (sanitizing under pressure/ purging multiple times) in the tank with the thought that if the hops are in the purged/pressurized tank prior to transfer, they should have a lot less 02. I transfer from the barrels under pressure with a bulldog and then carb up as usual. All these beers have been kegged and on tap only at the pub and I seem to be getting what I presume to be traces of THP within a week after kegging? I've used a different Brett blend in a fruited sour brown and did not notice THP at all and like I said, prior to transfer, there is no trace of it in any barrel. The weird thing is, I've used that same strain of Brett brux in Brett IPA's and hoppy farmhouse saisons and there is no trace of it there. I don't get it with any of our dry hopped sours without Brett. Is it a combination of acidity and Brett and the presence of dry hops or 02 that is throwing it off? I've heard it seems to go away relatively quickly in bottle conditioned beers conditioned with certain wine yeasts but we're really just filling kegs at the moment. I have 2 barrels I'm ready to pull out and do not plan on dry hopping them to see what happens. I started taking flaked oats of of recipes do to higher lysine content so we can se what happens there. Should I just dose the brite tank with additional sacch and naturally carb the kegs for the dry hopped beers? Any input would be great its starting to annoy me! Thanks!
Working...
X