Getting from Keg to Bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting from Keg to Bottle

I was wondering the best way to get beer from keg to bottle. We occasionally get half kegs of beer back from festivals. Was hoping to be able to get some take home beers from them.

Anyone any ideas?

Party tap and a growler? A partial keg is far too much trouble to set up and run a bottler.

Why not just make/buy a jockey box/keggerator and take the partial home?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      Party tap and a growler? A partial keg is far too much trouble to set up and run a bottler.

Why not just make/buy a jockey box/keggerator and take the partial home?
      I like the way you agree that I am the most important person when it comes to take home beer but my colleagues have strange ideas about "sharing".

Interesting idea about growler though. I would have imagined a lot of foam? Is it as simple as pouring from the party tap? CO2 purge?

The best scenario is something where anybody can do it without much training or cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewberosa View Post
        I like the way you agree that I am the most important person when it comes to take home beer but my colleagues have strange ideas about "sharing".

Interesting idea about growler though. I would have imagined a lot of foam? Is it as simple as pouring from the party tap? CO2 purge?

The best scenario is something where anybody can do it without much training or cleaning.
        get a beer gun and put a beer nut on the end. This can be put on the liquid out on the coupler. you can fill from there.
        Tim Eichinger
        Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by callmetim View Post
          get a beer gun and put a beer nut on the end. This can be put on the liquid out on the coupler. you can fill from there.
          I was thinking of those but thought they were only for corny kegs. Am I wrong?

Comment

I was thinking of those but thought they were only for corny kegs. Am I wrong?
            You are wrong. As mentioned, just attach the clear beer line to a keg coupler tang and good to go. Use a coupler with a vent so you can depressureize the keg prior to trying to fill the bottles. Only push with about 3-5 psi or you will gush. Pre purge with co2, fill em up, burst a little more co2 on top and hand crimp. Way better than growlers.

Comment

+1 on the beer gun. I roll my keg out of the cooler to a bottling table. Hook it up to a separate CO2 input for the purge, and CO2 to The Keg coupler. Bomber bottles are dirt cheap. You can bottle a few or a whole bunch. Perfect for the Nano. If a beer has been popular but I want to move it, I will bottle the rest and put a new beer on tap.

Comment

I use a counter pressure filler from morebeerpro/morewinepro.

Comment

Educate your colleagues! Inform them that the first thought they should always have before undertaking anything should be "How will this affect Brewberosa?" Admittedly, this has not worked very well for me.

We fill growlers using a tube that goes to the bottom of the growler. A simple piece of 1/2" PE tubing fits inside most faucets and party taps, and fills the growler from the bottom, keeping foam to a minimum and forcing O2 out of the growler as you fill. Less turbulence=less DO.

But a beer gun is also a very good suggestion.
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                  X