Plate/Frame Filtration Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate/Frame Filtration Tips

Hey guys, we recently started using a plate and frame filter (6 plate 20x20) with size 3-4 micron pads vs. our old method (standard water sediment filter housing/cartridge) so we are new to this. We are doing small batches (70-80 gallons at a time), we used it for the first time last week and it gave us brilliant clarity, but slowed way down about 90% of the way through. My question is can anyone on here give me advice on how to speed the process up and not stall out at the 10 yard line. I so badly wanted to change the filter pads but was too terrified of O2 pickup.

Cheers!

George Werner
    Werner Brewing Co.

We've been using a plate and frame for a long time now. 2 questions, 1 can you add more plates to the filter. 2 are you using a finning or clarifying agent if not that helps out a lot as well. Those are the 2 thing I can think of that may help speed things up for you.
    cheers matt

Comment

You are totally reliant on the quality of the beer you are feeding to the filter.

As noted earlier - use of auxiliary and isinglass finings will help tremendously to remove yeast and protein before you start filtration. Good cold storage times (not less than 48 hours at zero C, preferably colder) will also help precipitate protein and yeast. If your wort clarity is not good ex brewhouse, use of kettle finings can often make a big difference.

Silica gel and / or PVPP, used either in conjunction with or separately from isinglass in maturation will help beer clarity pre-filtration - and extend the shelf life if you are bottling / canning

More plates = more chance of oxygen pickup, so if you can avoid adding them by clearing the beer pre-filtration, this is a better option.
      dick

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll look into using a fining agent.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X