Labeling Tanks and Other Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labeling Tanks and Other Vessels

I would like to name our tanks, equipment and go to an insanely anal detail about giving everything in the brewery a name. However, despite how I might be able to over complicate naming conventions, I do not know what type of adhesives that will be brewery proof and would appreciate suggestions.

We went with what I think is a fairly standard convention - our 40 bbl tanks are labelled 401, 402, 403, etc; 80 bbl tanks are 801, 802, 803 and so forth. We just used vinyl letters from Office Depot, and they have lasted years so far.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Simple vinyl letters sets from the hardware store last for years.

We also name our equipment. You know you're "made" at the brewery when you get a fermenter named for you (Mine is 110bbl)!
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

We use blue painters tape and a sharpie. When the sharpie fades or gets rubbed off we re-apply. But we're cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
        Jon Sheldon
        Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
        Bugnutty Brewing Company
        www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Check with HMC&E before you do anything. It used to be that all vessels had to be clearly labelled, with a clear numbering convention, but this was a good few years ago, and things may have changed since then. There will still be a need to clearly label, and quite honestly, numbers are easier in some respects, but they may not be as anal about it as they used to be.

Re label material - make sure that labels go on cold or insulated parts only as heat from hot cleaning will lift of PVC labels very quickly. And they need to be away from chemicals, and or chemical resistant.
          dick

Comment

signs

any local vinyl sign company can cut you custom vinyl names in case you want to name a fermentor "Carol" or "Charles" or "Fermentor #1 - 10bbl". have them apply the transfer tape and you can apply them anywhere you want. they should only charge a few dollars.

s

Comment

Originally posted by murmsk View Post
              in case you want to name a fermentor "Carol" or "Charles"
              Man... don't do this. Number, type of tank if you've go more than one type (e.g., brites it would be difficult to use as fermenters), capacity if you've got more than one size. "BT-15-01 is empty, we'll just ferment that 30-barrel double batch there" sounds wrong as soon as you say it, in a way "we'll ferment the double batch in Carol" does not – and, trust me, there will be days you'll be stretched so thin you'll be glad you had that built-in sanity check.

Comment

Originally posted by feinbera View Post
                Man... don't do this. Number, type of tank if you've go more than one type (e.g., brites it would be difficult to use as fermenters), capacity if you've got more than one size. "BT-15-01 is empty, we'll just ferment that 30-barrel double batch there" sounds wrong as soon as you say it, in a way "we'll ferment the double batch in Carol" does not – and, trust me, there will be days you'll be stretched so thin you'll be glad you had that built-in sanity check.
                it was a joke

Comment

Originally posted by murmsk View Post
                  it was a joke
                  It was? I thought it was the best idea on the thread, except for TGTimm's idea of naming the tank after me. I think he was thinking to small though. I should name the cold beer store after me though!

Comment

I thought about letting people name our fermenters as a kickstarters reward

But then realized I'd end up with a fermenter named Boaty McBoatface.

Comment

Do you call the grant Eddie, Amy or Ulysses?
                      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by bausermant View Post
                        But then realized I'd end up with a fermenter named Boaty McBoatface.
                        I once won a competition to name a pair of fermenters for someone else's business. I chose Wallace and Gromit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV7AIG6U1TU

Comment

Working...
                        X