Thread: Milkshake IPA

Milkshake IPA

Hey All,
    Without going into a discussion about the legitimacy of a milkshake IPA as a beer, or IPA even, I was just curious if anyone out therein the probrewer world could provide some tips on working with lactose for making a milkshake ipa. we make a pretty legit hazy, and I am toying around with adding some lactose but I've never worked with lactose before. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    John

Vanilla bean is what's going to make or break it as opposed to lactose.

We brewed a Strawberry IPA once with Lactose and real strawberries.

My notes suggest avoid bittering hops to allow residual sweetness to carry through. Build some body with wheat and mash at a higher temp.

We added a pureed and boiled strawberry mix to 2ndary. No color transfer to beer. Notes suggest add rosehip s for color next time.

You could pick up the subtle sweetness in the finish. It was well received for a 3bbl batch.

We haven't gotten around to brewing it again.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    JC McDowell
    Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
    Darby, MT- population 700
    OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Thanks guys. I guess the one thing I was really looking at is how much lactose/BBL beer/wort to add. Any idea? I was intending to add it at KO and use whirlpool to ensure mixing.
    Thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by OGBrewer76 View Post
    Thanks guys. I guess the one thing I was really looking at is how much lactose/BBL beer/wort to add. Any idea? I was intending to add it at KO and use whirlpool to ensure mixing.
    Thanks
    John
    I used 20# in a 3bbl batch recently. This was for a new batch in our experimental IPA series. This was not in a milkshake IPA, nor a hazy IPA. I would probably suggest quite a bit more if you are going for the milkshake thing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

iv been doing a beer with lactose sugar for about 8 years now not an IPA just an ale. we started on a 3.5 bbl system and added 25# to that and had great mouth feel and texture in the beer. were brewing 7 bbl of this beer regularly but only added a little more lactose we use 35# now we found that it really starts to get a weird clay like mouth once we got over 40# mark in the beer. so what im saying is stick with around 5# per bbl seems to work for us. hope this helps
    cheers matt

Quote Originally Posted by OGBrewer76 View Post
    Thanks
    John
    We've tried early/late in the boil a bunch and don't see any difference. There's no aromatics in lactose to burn off.

I've tried making a syrup, chilling, and pitching in secondary without a noticeable difference.

I agree with the 5# per bbl max. Good rule of thumb.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    JC McDowell
    Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
    Darby, MT- population 700
    OPENED Black Friday 2014!

We have made about 10 Milkshake IPAs so far. The amount of lactose will depend on what fruit you add, if any.
    For our 15 bbl system we have found 100-150 lbs lactose works very well.
    We add it in 15 minutes before whirlpool.
    We allow it to ferment to completion and then add any fruits.
    Vanilla is added into the serving tank just before transfer.

Hello,
    We add lactose to a few of our beers, between 5-10% of the grain weight, in our case for 7-8BBls we add 5 to 15 kilos at around 15 to 10 mins before the end of boil straight in the kettle with the rakes at full speed, but again depends of the grain bill, fruit and residual sweetnes wanted. Lactose will add some gravity points as well as body, but it can go unnoticed. Hope it helps!

Jose
    3Monos Craft Beer
    Spain