Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milkshake IPA

Hey All,
    Without going into a discussion about the legitimacy of a milkshake IPA as a beer, or IPA even, I was just curious if anyone out therein the probrewer world could provide some tips on working with lactose for making a milkshake ipa. we make a pretty legit hazy, and I am toying around with adding some lactose but I've never worked with lactose before. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    John

Vanilla bean is what's going to make or break it as opposed to lactose.

Comment

We brewed a Strawberry IPA once with Lactose and real strawberries.

My notes suggest avoid bittering hops to allow residual sweetness to carry through. Build some body with wheat and mash at a higher temp.

We added a pureed and boiled strawberry mix to 2ndary. No color transfer to beer. Notes suggest add rosehip s for color next time.

You could pick up the subtle sweetness in the finish. It was well received for a 3bbl batch.

We haven't gotten around to brewing it again.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      JC McDowell
      Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
      Darby, MT- population 700
      OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess the one thing I was really looking at is how much lactose/BBL beer/wort to add. Any idea? I was intending to add it at KO and use whirlpool to ensure mixing.
        Thanks
        John

Comment

Originally posted by OGBrewer76 View Post
          Thanks guys. I guess the one thing I was really looking at is how much lactose/BBL beer/wort to add. Any idea? I was intending to add it at KO and use whirlpool to ensure mixing.
          Thanks
          John
          I used 20# in a 3bbl batch recently. This was for a new batch in our experimental IPA series. This was not in a milkshake IPA, nor a hazy IPA. I would probably suggest quite a bit more if you are going for the milkshake thing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

iv been doing a beer with lactose sugar for about 8 years now not an IPA just an ale. we started on a 3.5 bbl system and added 25# to that and had great mouth feel and texture in the beer. were brewing 7 bbl of this beer regularly but only added a little more lactose we use 35# now we found that it really starts to get a weird clay like mouth once we got over 40# mark in the beer. so what im saying is stick with around 5# per bbl seems to work for us. hope this helps
            cheers matt

Comment

Originally posted by OGBrewer76 View Post
              Thanks
              John
              We've tried early/late in the boil a bunch and don't see any difference. There's no aromatics in lactose to burn off.

I've tried making a syrup, chilling, and pitching in secondary without a noticeable difference.

I agree with the 5# per bbl max. Good rule of thumb.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
              JC McDowell
              Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
              Darby, MT- population 700
              OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Comment

We have made about 10 Milkshake IPAs so far. The amount of lactose will depend on what fruit you add, if any.
                For our 15 bbl system we have found 100-150 lbs lactose works very well.
                We add it in 15 minutes before whirlpool.
                We allow it to ferment to completion and then add any fruits.
                Vanilla is added into the serving tank just before transfer.

Comment

Hello,
                  We add lactose to a few of our beers, between 5-10% of the grain weight, in our case for 7-8BBls we add 5 to 15 kilos at around 15 to 10 mins before the end of boil straight in the kettle with the rakes at full speed, but again depends of the grain bill, fruit and residual sweetnes wanted. Lactose will add some gravity points as well as body, but it can go unnoticed. Hope it helps!

Jose
                  3Monos Craft Beer
                  Spain
                  Jose Argudo
                  Head Brewer
                  3Monos Craft Beer
                  Malaga, Spain
                  www.3monoscaftbeer.com

Comment

Bringing back a dead tread from the looks of it but would vanilla extract into the Brite after fermentation work rather then going the full vanilla beans can’t seem to find a good supply of beans for a test batch of a pineapple milkshake ipa. We got extract on hand which is why I was wondering or if I should track down some beans. What is the ratio of beans to say 7bbl batch and if anyone has how much extract into a 7bbl batch. Thanks for any help and guidance

Comment

Originally posted by MP-Greg View Post
                      Bringing back a dead tread from the looks of it but would vanilla extract into the Brite after fermentation work rather then going the full vanilla beans can’t seem to find a good supply of beans for a test batch of a pineapple milkshake ipa. We got extract on hand which is why I was wondering or if I should track down some beans. What is the ratio of beans to say 7bbl batch and if anyone has how much extract into a 7bbl batch. Thanks for any help and guidance
                      Beanilla.com is a good source for beans. Ninja makes a cheap food processor for $20 on Amazon that works well for chopping the beans up. Use about 3/4 lb for 7bbl batch

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
                        Beanilla.com is a good source for beans. Ninja makes a cheap food processor for $20 on Amazon that works well for chopping the beans up. Use about 3/4 lb for 7bbl batch
                        Thank you very much for the web site. Shall see how it comes on out.

Comment

Working...
                        X