Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passivation with K-MS

Hey all

Order some potassium metabisulfate from BSG, recieved it in powder form manufactured by BASF. Our brewery manufacturer suggested Loeffler KMS 10, which is a liquid. We are having trouble finding a ration of the dry K-MS to water for an effective passivation solution.

Looking for weight to liquid ratios, not percentages.

Gianpaolo Bonaca
    Good Times Brewing

Do you mean sanitizing? You don't passivate stainless with KMS. You need a strong acid blend like nitric and phosphoric to do that job. For passivation, KMS in water with an appropriate acid dose will do the trick. Manufacturer will be able to tell you how much you need to create the right ppm of sulfurdioxide for sanitizing. Most breweries do not use KMS for this, we all mostly use peracetic acid or some are using acid-anionic sanitizers like starsan.

I looked at that the loeffler KMS-10 is, that is not potassium metabisulfate, that is Leracept KMS-10 a nitric/phosphoric blend. As a tip too, potassium metabisulfate is generally abbreviated KMbS.

You have the wrong product for the job.
    Last edited by jebzter; 07-19-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Dirk from Loeffler here. I believe you are in fact mixing up chemicals. For passivation, you want to run a caustic cycle first, rinse and then follow with a 10-15% by volume solution of Leracid K-MS 10, which is a Nitric/Phosphoric Acid blend. Run this for 90 minutes and follow with a thorough rinse.

We have instruction sheets that we can e-mail you. You can e-mail me at info@loefflerchemical and I will send it to you.

Cheers,

Dirk Loeffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Loeffler Chemical Corporation
      (404) 629-0999
      800-769-5020 (US & Canada only)
      www.loefflerchemical.com

Comment

Thanks!

Looks like we have had our wires crossed... this is what our previous brewer had been using to passivate, so my guess is that we simply have not passivated at all.

Thanks for setting us straight, time to correct the problem and get back to the business of brewing!

Cheers

Gianpaolo Bonaca
        Good Times Brewing

Comment

passivation

Originally posted by Dirk Loeffler View Post
          Dirk from Loeffler here. I believe you are in fact mixing up chemicals. For passivation, you want to run a caustic cycle first, rinse and then follow with a 10-15% by volume solution of Leracid K-MS 10, which is a Nitric/Phosphoric Acid blend. Run this for 90 minutes and follow with a thorough rinse.

We have instruction sheets that we can e-mail you. You can e-mail me at info@loefflerchemical and I will send it to you.

Cheers,

Dirk Loeffler

hi Dirk, i was told to run for 30 min. then let dry for 12 hours then rinse is this proper or wrong thanks

Comment

Do not allow acid or any other chemical to dry in your tanks. This will damage your equipment.

The contact with the acid does the actual passivation and creates the chromium oxide layer. Some stainless steel grades readily passivation ion contact with air, but 300 series unfortunately does not.

Use a Nitric Acid or Nitric/Phos blend and Run a 10-15% solution for 60-90 minutes. Then rinse and inspect.

We have passivation procedures that I can share with you. You can contact me directly for more info.

Cheers,

Dirk Loeffler
            Technical Director
            loeffler.dirk@loefflerchemical.com

(404) 629-0999
            800-769-5020 (US & Canada only)
            www.loefflerchemical.com

Comment

Working...