Pro Chiller Chill & Flow unit questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Chiller Chill & Flow unit questions

So the back story is my 3/4 hp Glastender 2 pump line chiller finally committed suicide after five and a half years. I was in the process of buying another unit like it from Foxx, until my friend at another brewery told me about their small Prochiller Chill & Flow unit they were using on their (4) 3 barrel tanks. I have seen the unit in operation for the last few years and so since they wanted to sell it anyway, I bought it. I built a new 1 inch copper manifold with pressure bypass valve and pressure Gauge. The unit doesn't have an external thermostat (or any I can see for that matter) anywhere on the unit to set the glycol tank/bath temp, so without removing the cap and physically sticking a thermapen into the glycol, I have no idea how low its set. The unit came on, the chill pump and flow pumps are working and the solenoid valves on the line are working inlet lines to the tanks are as well. When both tanks are cooling, (valves open), the head pressure is running like 7 psi, with one off, its around 10/12 psi and with both off and it circulating around through the bypass it's about 15 psi.
    My old unit was a 3/4 hp and so is this chill & flow, but the old one had a 16 gallon tank and this ones only 5 gallons. My old unit would crash both of my jacketed 3 bbl tanks in less than 6 hours down to 32f. This unit with the manifold is creeping along and is cooling, but it's super slow compared to the older one. Any ideas or did I just buy a chiller that's too small for my needs or at least for what I have been doing with the old one?
    www.beerontheriver.com

So after I made that long post, I took off the front cover and being it was a Johnson controls A419. It was set to 29F and the display is reading 41. I can only assume something is wrong with either the refrigerant charge or something, I dropped the setpoint 2 degrees, but I think I know what will change. Nothing.
    www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Give our tech line a call, even if you bought the system used and it is out of warranty- we will be happy to walk you through some troubleshooting steps and assure the unit is operating as designed. We can also run some load calucations and confirm if the cooling load might be larger than the chiller capacity.

Call our main line at 253-735-9466 and press extension 3 for the tech group. You can also email them at techsupport@prorefrigeration.com.

Thanks
      Jim

Jim VanderGiessen Jr
      prochiller.com

Comment

Working...
      X