Water filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water filtration

How to properly size carbon filter for brewery water demand?

Hello All,

About to open new brewery, confused about water supply.

Pretty clean city water here, a little hard. Yearly average = 8pH.

Thinking to use activated carbon filter.

Here is a partial water report:

Chlorine, total - 2.13 mg/L
    Hardness, calcium CaCO3 - 125mg/L
    Hardness, total CaCO3 - 190mg/L
    Fluoride,dissolved - 0.70mg/L
    Potassium - 0.72mg/L
    Sodium - 9mg/L
    Iron - <0.002 mg/L
    Manganese - <0.002 mg/L
    Total organic carbon - 2 mg/L C
    Total dissolved solids - 255mg/LTurbidity 0.08mg

Please note there is both chlorine and fluoride in water supply, which togethed I believe = chloramins.

If I'm correct, I understand one needs a "catalytic carbon filter" to remove chloramins, not just a regular activated carbon filter.

I also understand that to correctly size the filter, getting the proper flow rate is critical, which makes sense.

So, a lager filter, with larger filter surface area, would be able to fill a certain sized tank quicker than a smaller filter with less filter surface area used to fill the same sized area.

However, I suspect that if you had the time to fill the tank overnight, a smaller filter tank would work. Am I correct in this assumption?

Now, would it be common procedure be to fill the brew house Hot and Cold water tanks overnight, adjust pH, and brew with it the following day? Or is more common to have a separate holding tank for filtered water and transfer to hot and cold tanks as needed?

And how does one go about sizing the filter? Just explain to the supplier how quickly you'd like to have said holding tanks filled?

How are others dealing with water filtration?

Could some smart soul out there clarify this for a dumb ass like me??

Thanks for reading

if you have to water tested for ammonia, then it is chloramine. the florine in the water is not an indicator of the use of chloramine.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
      if you have to water tested for ammonia, then it is chloramine. the florine in the water is not an indicator of the use of chloramine.
      Ammonia is added to city water supply, along with chlorine, amounts noted in original post. This tells me I have chloroamines. Wondering how best to filter this water, with parameters detailed in original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobrew View Post
        How to properly size carbon filter for brewery water demand?

Hello All,

About to open new brewery, confused about water supply.
        Pretty clean city water here, a little hard. Yearly average = 8pH.
        Thinking to use activated carbon filter.
        Here is a partial water report:
        Chlorine, total - 2.13 mg/L
        Hardness, calcium CaCO3 - 125mg/L
        Hardness, total CaCO3 - 190mg/L
        Fluoride,dissolved - 0.70mg/L
        Potassium - 0.72mg/L
        Sodium - 9mg/L
        Iron - <0.002 mg/L
        Manganese - <0.002 mg/L
        Total organic carbon - 2 mg/L C
        Total dissolved solids - 255mg/LTurbidity 0.08mg

Please note there is both chlorine and fluoride in water supply, which togethed I believe = chloramins.
        If I'm correct, I understand one needs a "catalytic carbon filter" to remove chloramins, not just a regular activated carbon filter.
        I also understand that to correctly size the filter, getting the proper flow rate is critical, which makes sense.
        So, a lager filter, with larger filter surface area, would be able to fill a certain sized tank quicker than a smaller filter with less filter surface area used to fill the same sized area.
        However, I suspect that if you had the time to fill the tank overnight, a smaller filter tank would work. Am I correct in this assumption?
        Now, would it be common procedure be to fill the brew house Hot and Cold water tanks overnight, adjust pH, and brew with it the following day? Or is more common to have a separate holding tank for filtered water and transfer to hot and cold tanks as needed?
        And how does one go about sizing the filter? Just explain to the supplier how quickly you'd like to have said holding tanks filled?
        How are others dealing with water filtration?
        Could some smart soul out there clarify this for a dumb ass like me??
        First - call your water supplier and determine what disinfectant they are using. Will be chlorine OR chloramines. Once we know that, then yes - the primary sizing criteria to treat chlorine (with GAC), or chloramines (with CGAC) is the desired flow in gallons per minute. You can find common sizes (and prices) of backwashing carbon tanks for chlorine here: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/backwashing-carbon-tank/
        and backwashing CGAC tanks for chloramines here: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/backwas...removal-tanks/

Russ Romme
        Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
        Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

Working...
        X