prorefrigeration chillstar pressure gauge blew out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prorefrigeration chillstar pressure gauge blew out

My glycol chiller just blew out the pressure gauge glass and started smoking thru the gauge. I have a call in to ProRefrigeration but they didn't have anyone available so I had to leave a message. Anyone know anything about repairing this? My staff called the local HVAC guys (thinking it was an AC unit) but they didn't know anything about repairing it. Obviously, I have to find a solution asap. 100 degree weather today. Naturally.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Hi Dave,

Will likely need a service tech to come out and disconnect the gauge from the system temporarily, the smoke you are seeing is likely refrigerant vapor.

Should be a pretty easy fix for any HVACR Tech, its simply a refrigerant hose connected to either the high or low side of the system.

As you mentioned, your call is in the service queue here with our technical team- they will be following up with you soon. The tech will walk you through the steps to get gauge removed and replaced with a new one, and can also put you in touch with a local service partner- if one is needed.

you can also email in for Technical Support to techsupport@prorefrigeration.com.

Thanks
    Jim
    Pro Chiller Systems
    jimvgjr@ prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Update -- I got hold of my refrigeration guy and he capped it and yes, no more coolant being lost and not much was lost. it is working again and I'll get a new gauge to replace the busted one.

Dave
      Dave Cowie
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

There are usually refrigerant sight glasses in several places on PR chillers. You should take a look at one and see if there is a lot of bubbles or low liquid flowing thru if so you lost too much and need a recharge. I had the last tech move my gauges to a position that was covered. From the factory they are in a position to get weathered very quickly. I have replaced them several times. Now I just pull the sliding cover open when I want to see them. I also had the tech install shut off valves near the gauges so if the failed I can turn a shut off right behind the gauges, and have them replaced easily. Cheers.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
          There are usually refrigerant sight glasses in several places on PR chillers. You should take a look at one and see if there is a lot of bubbles or low liquid flowing thru if so you lost too much and need a recharge. I had the last tech move my gauges to a position that was covered. From the factory they are in a position to get weathered very quickly. I have replaced them several times. Now I just pull the sliding cover open when I want to see them. I also had the tech install shut off valves near the gauges so if the failed I can turn a shut off right behind the gauges, and have them replaced easily. Cheers.
          Thanks for the good advice. My refrigeration guy did check the site glass for any bubbles and there were none. He also suggested putting shut off valves before the gauges. Definitively going to do that. Chiller is on the roof -- very exposed to the elements (sun being the gnarliest). I'll see about moving the gauges when I get a new one.

Dave
          Dave Cowie
          Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
          X