Thread: Aqua chiller for temp control?

Aqua chiller for temp control?

I recently found this aqua chiller on line. Any reasons why this couldn’t be used to pump chilled water through either a stainless steel coil submerged in a fermenter or through a fermenters glycol jacket to maintain ale fermentation temp? This is the 1/2 hp model and they also make a 1hp version as well...

Hydrofarm Active Aqua AACH50 Chiller, 1/2 hp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HV7XA4..._xuixBbE9F7524

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Catfish002; 07-28-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish002 View Post
    I recently found this aqua chiller on line. Any reasons why this couldn’t be used to pump chilled water through either a stainless steel coil submerged in a fermenter or through a fermenters glycol jacket to maintain ale fermentation temp? This is the 1/2 hp model and they also make a 1hp version as well...

Hydrofarm Active Aqua AACH50 Chiller, 1/2 hp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HV7XA4..._xuixBbE9F7524

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    what size of a fermenter are you thinking of using this with? I would be surprised if it would even be a good fit for a 10gal ferment.

Chill 52 gal by 30F in 20 hours? No way will this do the trick. I can't find the temp range it's designed for, but you'll want to hit around 30F--0C--for a crash. I doubt this unit can even approach that.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

for the same price range, there's a homebrew chiller called penguin i think, and they actually design for brewing temps. or find a draft line chiller and rig that to work.

but as noted above, it all depends on your batch size and how you plan to crash.