Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMTS in 2017 Citra

Hi All,
    Im curious, has anyone else picked up on DMTS on 2017 Citra from YCH? We just re-order some and they came in slightly brown, smelling like cooked onions and very leafy. Just wondering if its the storage condition before we got them or a sulphur bi-product of the plant? We are going to replace them but i don't wanna get more in if they are all going to be like that.
    Thanks!

Cheers,
    Jen
    Last edited by JenBeeBrewin; 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM.

We received some off Citra earlier in the summer too - yellow/brown & smelled oniony and stale in the bag. We tossed them and requested a new box. The new ones looked and smelled better but threw off a big melon note in the dry-hop. We worked with our supplier to change the hop lot for the remainder of this year's contract. The new Citras have been much more on point.

I have heard other folks speak of melon and oddness from CY2017 Citra. In past years, Citra seemed to be one of the more reliable hops in our experience. Amarillo has always been the struggle for us. We don't yet do hop selection but this experience certainly drives home the desire to pursue that in the future!

Cheers,
    Tom

Comment

Hi,

All our hops are from YCH and we have been experiencing some changes from different lots, especially Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe. Some Amarillo was smelling stale, an odd vegetal flavour from the Citra, and massive cooked onion from the Simcoe and Mosaic.

I’m defenately not saying that it is all on YCH as there are several factors that can cause these off flavours/aromas. These variations in lots made me realise how important it is to choose your own lots to make sure there is not these big differences between batches!

Comment

Working...
      X