Pcr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pcr

I wanted to get a feeling what breweries are using in the way of PCR, I see Invisible Sentinel and Pall are in the market place, who else has a good product? And do they offer Hop resistant kits?

Thanks

Jason
    Last edited by I.D. Rinks; 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM.

Invisible Sentinel offers a test for hop resistant lactic acid bacteria. We have had issues with the system as a whole though - certain ingredients such as fruit can cause false positives/negatives on certain tests they offer. It is quick and easy though.

Comment

We use a Biotecon LightCycler 480. It's probably overkill, but allows for more custom manipulation of primers, targets, etc. We also have a Pall Genedisc which is pretty convenient. If you're looking to do more in depth studies/testing and want to use specific primers and whatnot, LightCycler would be the way to go, but if all you need is spoiler detection yes/no, Genedisc has been pretty reliable. You can also use bacteria kits, yeast kits, and a few others with either of these.

Comment

Wide world of PCR

PCR is a complicated assay and it really comes down to what you're comfortable with. In terms of bang for you buck then Real Time based detection kits are the way to go but the caveat is that unless you have some experience with molecular biology techniques the learning curve could be too steep. End point PCR is much simpler but is very limited in the amount of data you can generate per assay. Real time kits from Biotecon and R-biopharm can detect a minimum of three targets in a single assay and have built in controls. End point PCR will give you presence absence data on a single gene target. When it comes to cost, end point PCR is the least expensive to get in to, especially if you can get a reasonable priced thermal cycler and assuming that the company you buy your kits is forthcoming you can program your own runs saving you a lot. The downside comes in per assay cost, for real time and end point PCR you're close to $25 per run, less if you pool samples. Real Time is much more costly to get in to, minimum of $20k to $25k depending on how well equipped your current lab is. Lastly, think of PCR as a means to increase the sensitivity of current microbiological controls you have in place, not a replacement. Most kits are going to recommend an enrichment of your sample meaning a 12hr to 48hr growth period in specialized media prior to prepping the reaction to ensure a true negative. I've wandered all over the place a bit but if you're still looking then feel free to shoot me a message and we can talk about specific points in more detail.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X