Canning at your nano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning at your nano

Just checking to see how many of you can your beer and what canning equipment you use & your processes. We're a 1 bbl nano with a taproom and our next phase is to have cans avail for take out. We're also weighing the option of a crowler machine but canning would be preferred and take a lot of pressure off our bartenders on busy nights. Thanks & cheers!

How many BBL's a week

How often are you brewing..?
    I would save your money and purchase a larger system, seems like too much labor. Have a 10 bbl system for 40K.
    all the waste in canning you would be lucky enough to get 25 gallons at best.

Lance

Comment

Thx for the reply

Thanks man for replying. We're looking for a small 1 or 2 head filler + seamer nothing like a canning line or anything like that. Just enough to get our product out the door. I know some nanos use Oktober Design seamers but we were looking to see if there are other products out there & what other small batch brewers are using & their processes. Agree it's very manual and labor intensive at this scale but other nanos are doing it. This will help us upgrade to a bigger system as well.

Comment

Why not bottles?

Buy a couple counter pressure hand fillers for $50 each, a roll label machine, and manual capper. For about $600 total you can be sending your brews out the door.

Do bombers. 42 cents each for the bottle, plus the label is about 15 cents if you purchase 2000 labels at a time.

You can bottle about 200 per hour using this method. Clean up takes 5 minutes. Remove liquid and gas hose, dunk in bucket of sanitizer and you are done.

Comment

Canning at your nano

We are canning with and Oktober seamer and a two head filler from express fillers works great. Takes a little time, but less than $3500 spent. Plus cans are the best package for beer.
          Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Barton View Post
            We are canning with and Oktober seamer and a two head filler from express fillers works great. Takes a little time, but less than $3500 spent. Plus cans are the best package for beer.
            Cheers

Thanks Barton! How long have you been using the Oktober seamer? Is it pretty durable?

Comment

Around 6 months, yes it’s very durable. Oktober also sells small quantities of cans and ends. Also I started with a blichmann beer gun.

Comment

Canning

Originally posted by Barton View Post
                Cheers

Which express filler are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarpenter View Post
                  Which express filler are you using?
                  I believe it’s model 2100c

Comment

I don't know anything about the quality of their equipment but I have been interested in getting more info on this company. They have seamers, can's, labels and CO2 purge....

http://growler-station.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaOrchard View Post
                      Why not bottles?

Buy a couple counter pressure hand fillers for $50 each, a roll label machine, and manual capper. For about $600 total you can be sending your brews out the door.

Do bombers. 42 cents each for the bottle, plus the label is about 15 cents if you purchase 2000 labels at a time.

You can bottle about 200 per hour using this method. Clean up takes 5 minutes. Remove liquid and gas hose, dunk in bucket of sanitizer and you are done.
                      Only problem is that people don't want bombers anymore. you could also just brew adjunct lagers, because those used to be popular, but eh. it's 2019.
                      Bottles are still appropriate for some beers (barrel aged, sour, really anything meant to be aged) but 4-pack cans fly out the door and are a much more convenient package for your session beers and IPAs.
                      A lot of people have started with nothing more than a beer gun and the Oktoberfest seamer. the beer gun works fine but is by no means a long term solution, unless you're into arthritis.
                      We have a four head filler that was designed to counter-pressure fill bottles, hooked the CP part up to co2 to fill can headspace and don't apply counter pressure. do two at a time, then the next two, pass on to the seamer. co2 filling headspace the whole time. there's a fairly recent thread in the packaging forum about it with pictures.
                      Last edited by wlw33; 02-28-2019, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wlw33 View Post
                        Only problem is that people don't want bombers anymore. you could also just brew adjunct lagers, because those used to be popular, but eh. it's 2019.
                        Bottles are still appropriate for some beers (barrel aged, sour, really anything meant to be aged) but 4-pack cans fly out the door and are a much more convenient package for your session beers and IPAs.
                        A lot of people have started with nothing more than a beer gun and the Oktoberfest seamer. the beer gun works fine but is by no means a long term solution, unless you're into arthritis.
                        We have a four head filler that was designed to counter-pressure fill bottles, hooked the CP part up to co2 to fill can headspace and don't apply counter pressure. do two at a time, then the next two, pass on to the seamer. co2 filling headspace the whole time. there's a fairly recent thread in the packaging forum about it with pictures.
                        We actually are doing cans in our tap room now. I would like to update my suggestion and just do cans from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaOrchard View Post
                          We actually are doing cans in our tap room now. I would like to update my suggestion and just do cans from the start.
                          AmbrosiaOrchard, what are you using to can with? What is your sop? It would really help this thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X