Unsaleable Beer - how to dispose of - can't dump to drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsaleable Beer - how to dispose of - can't dump to drain

My city's wastewater treatment authority has indicated they will not allow me to dump unsaleable beer to the sanitary sewer system as they are concerned about the BOD placed on the treatment system. They have forced another local brewery to contract with a vendor who can haul it away and dispose offsite. In the unlikely event (!) I have this situation, any advice on how to dispose would be appreciated. I'd rather not pay to have this done but wondering what arrangements anyone else has experienced?

Thanks,

Jeff

what volume of beer are we talking here?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
      what volume of beer are we talking here?
      I'm only planning a 5 BBL brewery at this time..

Comment

No matter what you will have to pay to have any of it hauled out. Try calling any septic company to haul it for you.

Comment

Dump it in the sewer system of the next town over – this is less shady than it sounds, because this is where you will be locating your brewery, since they don't make operating a brewery prohibitively expensive. :-p Seriously, though, depending on how locked in you are, might make sense to talk to other near-by breweries, see if their towns make operating a brewery a little more easy? Especially depending on how rough quotes from the septic haulers come back.

Another outside-the-box option might be to talk to some of the local craft distilleries. There's an operation out here in SF called Seven Stills that distills from beer I believe exclusively, some of it from local breweries and some they brew themselves, so, it can be done. Distillation will cure a lot that can go wrong a beer – "Hot" or solventy from a stressed ferment? A lot of those compounds will end up in the distillation fractions that don't end up in the final product. Infected? Sour mash! You won't get rich doing this, but, you might at least not have to pay them to take it off your hands.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions; I didn't think about contacting local distilleries but I'm going to do that; would be a "win-win" solution for me and for them!

Comment

Originally posted by JR2018 View Post
              I'm only planning a 5 BBL brewery at this time..
              You could probably just put it into a 220 gal IBC tote and ask the farmer thats taking your spent grain to dispose of it for you. Might not be the official correct way to handle it, but I bet you they'll take care of it.

Comment

Working...
              X