Jockey Box Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jockey Box Advice

We have been invited to our first festival and will be needing to acquire a remote serving system. Just wondering if anybody has any good practical advice regarding jockey boxes (brands to seek or avoid, best place to purchase, coil vs. cold plate, other equipment recommendations, etc.) and for that matter any other pointers for this beer-fest endeavor.
    Thanks in advance!

I have dealt with a few Jockey's over the years. Can for sure say that coil is the way to go, tight as possible. Just about any cooler can be converted to a jockey if you want to put in the time to do so. Otherwise, they can get pricey if buying new. Our 2-banger with coils works perfect. No need to ice the keg, just fill the cooler and it has more than enough contact with the ice in transit to the tap to keep the beer cold and CO2 in suspension.

Justin Green
    Head Brewer
    EJ Phair

Comment

Thanks for the input!
      In shopping around I'm seeing jockey boxes with widely varying coil lengths (50', 70', 120'...) - is there a minimum we should go with?

Comment

Coil length and diameter will depend on your climate. Call your distributor and ask what they recommend.

Don't even think of a plate--we've had two coil-type JBs stolen over the years, but no one has ever bothered with the plate box. Heavy to carry, required iced kegs, and needs to drain--which can make a muddy mess around your serving table if you aren't careful.

You can save a little money (about half the price) by buying the coils and using a second-hand cooler to make your own. You'll need tubes to go over the faucet shafts to keep from compressing the cooler walls--old keg spears are the perfect ID for this.

The better the cooler, the longer the ice will last. Insulate or at least light-proof the lines from the kegs to the JB--otherwise, you're serving skunky beer on a sunny day. If you're a fan of Corona and/or clear growlers, this might not be a problem for you.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
          Insulate or at least light-proof the lines from the kegs to the JB--otherwise, you're serving skunky beer on a sunny day. If you're a fan of Corona and/or clear growlers, this might not be a problem for you.
          I literally LOL'd at this!

Thanks for the input Timm! We are in a very frigid climate (Northern Wisconsin) and in fact our first festival is going to literally take place on a frozen lake. So I'm guessing we'll be pretty safe with a shorter length.

Comment

Another thing...

Something to be aware of- a lot of jockey boxes connect the coils to the shanks with rubber compression fittings. These are to be avoided if at all possible. I've lost enough beer to float a battleship over the years thanks to these coming apart during dispense. Doesn't matter how many times you check them during cleaning, setup, etc; they are unreliable.

Comment

Good advice - Thanks MikeyB! I just ordered a JB and will check the compression fittings as soon as it arrives. Am guessing if they're the rubber kind it won't be hard to change them out for some proper ones from McMaster-Carr (where would we all be without McMaster?)

Comment

JBs I've used and/or built have all had welded-on SS beer nuts for all connections. I replace all gaskets each spring in prep for party season.
                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by somenerve View Post
                  We are in a very frigid climate (Northern Wisconsin) and in fact our first festival is going to literally take place on a frozen lake.
                  If you are on a frozen lake... why do you even need a jockey box??? Ambient air temp is plenty cold enough already!

Comment

Amen. No matter how well we check, everyone complains of leaking.

We remove compression fittings and used a Barb to stainless coil with hose and clamps but still leaks under pressure.

What works? Any links, hardware we can try?

Jc
                    Originally posted by MikeyB View Post
                    Something to be aware of- a lot of jockey boxes connect the coils to the shanks with rubber compression fittings. These are to be avoided if at all possible. I've lost enough beer to float a battleship over the years thanks to these coming apart during dispense. Doesn't matter how many times you check them during cleaning, setup, etc; they are unreliable.
                    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                    JC McDowell
                    Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
                    Darby, MT- population 700
                    OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Comment

Working...
                    X