WLP940 mexican lager protocol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLP940 mexican lager protocol?

Wondering if anyone is using the mex lager outside the suggested parameters? Maybe a higher temp and 5-10-15psi pressure? Curious to know if this still comes out clean or if i need to do the experiment and see what happens.

Thx

We use that yeast a lot, for all sorts of things. Both in parameter and well out of its normal range.

We've found that it will go up to about 60 and stay pretty clean, above that it starts to throw a lot of fruity esters. It doesn't throw much in the way of phenols at high temps, just esters. We use it for a cali common fermented at about 65, and do a dry hopped pils at around 60, as well as doing a few more traditional lagers with it.

Never tried fermenting it under pressure to try and create a cleaner faster lager though.
    Manuel

Comment

We used it once to ferment a beer in barrels at room temp. We had planned on using our house ale, but the source we wanted to use was not giving a good enough harvest. The beer came out really nice. It was a bit fruity but was much cleaner than we expected. It actually didn't have much more esters going on than our house ale.

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
        We use that yeast a lot, for all sorts of things. Both in parameter and well out of its normal range.

We've found that it will go up to about 60 and stay pretty clean, above that it starts to throw a lot of fruity esters. It doesn't throw much in the way of phenols at high temps, just esters. We use it for a cali common fermented at about 65, and do a dry hopped pils at around 60, as well as doing a few more traditional lagers with it.

Never tried fermenting it under pressure to try and create a cleaner faster lager though.
        If you ran it at 60, did you pitch colder than that? Let it free rise to 60? Pitch warm and cool down to 60?

Sounds like I might just need to rig up a spund at home and see where low 60s and maybe 10psi gets us before going whole hog on a big batch.

Comment

When I've run the yeast at 60 I'll pitch at 58. I try to pitch just a couple degrees lower so the yeast can start the growth phase without the cooling jackets potentially slowing down growth.
          Manuel

Comment

Working...
          X