Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving kegs through taproom

hey guys,

So we are a 10bbl brewpub in tulsa, ok. We opened up 2 months ago and are seeing beers move through the taproom pretty quick.

We have a beer that we released the week after we opened and it is our slowest moving beer. I will admit this is not one of my better beers but there is nothing wrong with it (it is a coffee saison). Our owners are wanting to dump it because it isn't selling as fast as they would like, however 2 months seams really early to make that call.. I guess my question is is how long do you wait before you start making a decision like that?

Lot of factors there....

Abv? High benefits from time.
    How many taps? 4 taps or 20 taps?
    How many kegs? Are you going to run out?
    Did you hit breakeven on COG versus sales?
    Have you calculated the cost to empty the kegs?

We have 11 taps. Depending on the season certain styles move slower than others but we choose to have a wide variety of styles on the wall instead of having all IPA taps.

As an owner or brewery I would at least want to know the numbers before I decided to pitch it down the drain.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    JC McDowell
    Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
    Darby, MT- population 700
    OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Comment

Add this to the coffee saison kegs and you will probably sell the remaining kegs quickly solely based on the novelty: https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/candurin...e-glitter-1-kg

Come up with some cheesy name involving unicorns or ponies for the beer as well. That seems to be the standard industry protocol when using glitter :-)

Comment

Associate brewer at a similar-sized brewpub (8 BBL, 10 taps). Two months seems a ridiculously short time to be considering dumping beer, especially of a style that will hold quality reasonably well, or maybe even improve with age? We've got a few "slow movers," some in our regular line-up, some one-offs that just don't fly through the taplines, what we do is rotate through them, maybe a barrel of this, then put on that for a barrel of so, then maybe dig out the other. The variety alone seems like it should help the beer move, although I don't think we've A/B tested it or anything. Anyway, this way, slow-moving beer is only taking up two or three taps at a time, and we still sell all of that beer eventually, even though some of the regular-rotation slow-movers only get brewed every six, eight months. Helps that nothing slow is hoppy, so we can sit on 'em for a while – but, then, I imagine almost everybody on this board has the problem that anything hoppy sells faster than they can brew it, anyway.

TL;DR – never dump sellable beer! Sell something else now and sell more of it later if you have to.

Comment

Glitter?! worst idea ever

DON'T DO IT. You will spend hours trying to clean out your keg washer.
          Never really goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by feinbera View Post
            Associate brewer at a similar-sized brewpub (8 BBL, 10 taps). Two months seems a ridiculously short time to be considering dumping beer, especially of a style that will hold quality reasonably well, or maybe even improve with age? We've got a few "slow movers," some in our regular line-up, some one-offs that just don't fly through the taplines, what we do is rotate through them, maybe a barrel of this, then put on that for a barrel of so, then maybe dig out the other. The variety alone seems like it should help the beer move, although I don't think we've A/B tested it or anything. Anyway, this way, slow-moving beer is only taking up two or three taps at a time, and we still sell all of that beer eventually, even though some of the regular-rotation slow-movers only get brewed every six, eight months. Helps that nothing slow is hoppy, so we can sit on 'em for a while – but, then, I imagine almost everybody on this board has the problem that anything hoppy sells faster than they can brew it, anyway.

TL;DR – never dump sellable beer! Sell something else now and sell more of it later if you have to.
            AMEN!!!! Edible glitter? Just say no.

Comment

Working...
            X