Thread: Pipes and hoses diameters

Pipes and hoses diameters

I am purchasing new 10 hL brewhouse (~8.5 bbl) and I have doubt about diameters of SS pipes and EPDM hoses.

Brewhouse will have MLT and BK/WP which are hard piped with SS pipes. For HEX->FV and FV->BBT transfer I will use EPDM hose.
    Pumps (fixed and mobile) inlet is 51mm, outlet is 38mm.
    Manufacturer suggest SS pipes that are 51 mm diameter on pump suction side and 38 mm on pump outlet, with 32 mm EPDM hose (all inner diameters).

For non metric users: 51 mm- 2", 38 mm- 1.5", 25 mm- 1"

My concern is that these diameters are huge for this size of brewhouse, and I am closer to 32 mm for inlet and 25 mm diameter for pump outlet (both for SS pipes and EPDM hoses).

Logic behind is this:

- If we aim for 1.5 m/sec flow speed at production side, and want to cool 1100 L (9.5 bbl) of wort in 30 min, required flow would be 2200 L/h (19 bbl/h). With this speed and flow we need ~23 mm inner diameter (aprox 25mm).

- At cleaning pipes (CIP), if we want 2 m/sec flow speed, with 2600 L/h (~22 bbl/h) flow we need ~22mm diameter.

Calculations are based on this calculator: http://www.1728.org/flowrate.htm

Brewery in neighborhood also have different diameters and brewmaster complained to me about complicity since there are a lot of different connections.. but I don't see issue here.

What do you think, is my math correct or using different diameters is over-complicating and will create confusion in practice?
    Any other suggestions for anything I probably overlooked are also welcome.

I haven't checked the maths in detail, (I use my own spreadsheet - but will check out this calculator for interest)but you are right, as is all too common, manufacturers specify pipework and hoses that are far too big to be able to clean. You are right about needing 2 metres / second for small diameter pipework - larger, from 80 mm upwards can cope with 1.5 m/ sec if hot cleaning, but 2 metres / sec cold cleaning. You definitely need 2 metres / second for cleaning 25 mm, and you really want to be able to transfer wort and product at not less than 1.5 metres / second, ideally for small bore pipe like this, 2 metres / second

Make sure your pumps are capable of this flow as well. Some of the pumps sold in the UK are barely powerful enough to clean one inch pipe (22.6 mm ID) let alone 25 mm DIN (oddly, 26 mm ID) or 40 or 50 mm pipe. Make sure as well that your wort transfer pump can clean the chiller at 1.3 to 1.5 times the nominal forward design flow rate - in your case not less than 3000 litres / hour

Cheers
    dick

i cooled and knocked out 7.5 bbl wort in 30 minutes. all the pipe and hoses are 1.5" id.

@dick murton
    Thank you for response, I hoped you'll chime in.
    I think I'll sick with 32/25mm (1.5"/1") pipes.

@brewmaster 2011
    Are you satisfied with cleaning result, what CIP pump do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by dark_s View Post
    @dick murton
    Thank you for response, I hoped you'll chime in.
    I think I'll sick with 32/25mm (1.5"/1") pipes.

@brewmaster 2011
    Are you satisfied with cleaning result, what CIP pump do you use?
    my knowout pumps are 2HP and my cip pump is 1.5HP and they both do great when it comes to cleaning.