Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump Tariffs on imported Chinese brew tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Tariffs on imported Chinese brew tanks?

anybody know one way or another on this one? i've seen alot of articles with random stuff like washing machines, iphones, cars, auto parts, and then raw materials like rolled steel, aluminum stock, etc. but havent been able to actually find an answer about our fermenters which are getting on the boat right about now.

hoping we dont get kicked in the nuts by 25% hike.

anyone get some chinese gear in past few weeks that can state whether the tariffs apply to brew equipment?

According to the BA, there are tariffs that would effect the brewing industry in consideration. These would be on kegs, tap handles, centrifuges, pressure reducing valves, etc. Tanks are not on the list.

Two investigations by U.S. agencies have led to the imposition of tariffs that may have an effect on breweries. Here's what you need to know about them.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
      According to the BA, there are tariffs that would effect the brewing industry in consideration. These would be on kegs, tap handles, centrifuges, pressure reducing valves, etc. Tanks are not on the list.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/t...te-of-tariffs/
      Thanks for posting this link. I was thinking the same thing as the original poster.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post

https://www.brewersassociation.org/t...te-of-tariffs/
        Thank god. That would have hurt. Alot. I heard theyre asking for new round of talks with the Chinese, so hopefully nothing happens in the new 3 weeks while our boat's in the water.

Safe. For now.....

Comment

well i just got our bill from CBP and there is a duty levied that is exactly 10% of the invoice amount of the tanks.

so yeah, it looks like president very good brain has screwed us good. i guess it could be worse, like 25%. still sucks.

Comment

Hey brain medicine--I saw you got a 10% tariff on your tanks. A few questions to clarify what happened to you as we're considering chinese FVs very soon and a 10% (or maybe soon 25%) tariff could change our whole approach. Questions:

*Was it fermentation tanks or kettle/tun?
            *Jacketed?
            *Do you know what tariff code they were imported under? May matter. Examples of what I've read/heard:

Code 7309.00.00 = tanks over 300L, but NOT fitted with mechanical or thermal systems. This one is on the Trump list, but theoretically glycol jackets exclude jacketed FVs, with all their fittings, from this code.
            Code 7310.10.00 = tanks less than 300L (kegs)...this ones on the Trump list, but FVs are too big for this one
            Code 8438.40.00 = brewery equipment--this ones not even on the list for the new tariffs and seems like the obvious one to use.

I'm trying to get a hold of a customs broker to help on this one, but haven't gotten there yet, saw this thread, and figured I'd ask. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by kaluskap View Post
              Hey brain medicine--I saw you got a 10% tariff on your tanks. A few questions to clarify what happened to you as we're considering chinese FVs very soon and a 10% (or maybe soon 25%) tariff could change our whole approach. Questions:

*Was it fermentation tanks or kettle/tun?
              *Jacketed?
              *Do you know what tariff code they were imported under? May matter. Examples of what I've read/heard:

Code 7309.00.00 = tanks over 300L, but NOT fitted with mechanical or thermal systems. This one is on the Trump list, but theoretically glycol jackets exclude jacketed FVs, with all their fittings, from this code.
              Code 7310.10.00 = tanks less than 300L (kegs)...this ones on the Trump list, but FVs are too big for this one
              Code 8438.40.00 = brewery equipment--this ones not even on the list for the new tariffs and seems like the obvious one to use.

I'm trying to get a hold of a customs broker to help on this one, but haven't gotten there yet, saw this thread, and figured I'd ask. Thanks!!

they were fermenters. they were listed as 7310.29 which is less than 300L, but thats incorrect. you could try using the 8438.40 for brewery equipment, but they may not accept that for everything. your tanks might go as "tanks" of some sort, and only your brewhouse would be exempt. hard to say.

i'm going to look into having ours disputed and see if we can get it back. i think its pretty easy to argue that (a) the glycol jackets are thermal systems, and (b) this is brewery equipment.

hopefully we didnt wait too long to catch the mistake. will post back when we hear about possible resolutions.

Comment

Interesting stuff, thanks guys. I'm about to place an order for a BH, FVs and BBTs from Gavin. I've been worried about the potential 25%. I can deal with 10% but 25% would hurt a lot!

Comment

Hello, friend,
                  Don’t worry. The taxes haven’t effect beer brewing equipment yet, don’t know after February.
                  We just export to USA, the customer the taxes haven’t go up.
                  By the way, do you need a quotation as reference? Glad to quote for you.
                  Best regards
                  Alice
                  E: alice@qhbeerequipment.com
                  P: 008615505412086

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Comment

So we’ve asked for refund. But we got sent an opinion letter regarding another brewery import from someone at customs and it said that the tanks should be under 7309. The letter was in reference to fvs and brites.

We responded that the glycol jackets are thermal systems, but not sure that makes a difference according to the letter cited. Maybe they want the actual heat/cold source attached to the tank.

We shall see.

Comment

I have a complete brewery (everything but electronics and pumps) that is on a ship and 3 days from port. I still don't know what my fees are and I'm a little worried. I ordered this back in Dec. I'm surprised my search for tariff did not result in a more recent conversation.

Comment

about tariffs

Click image for larger version

Name:	微信图片_20190521180447.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	191897

I JUST DELIVER BREWERY SETS TO USA AND WE DID NOT GET FEEDBACK ABOUT TARIFFS ISSUE

IT SHOULD BE 2.3% INSTEAD OF 10% TARIFFS ,IS NOT IT ? I ATTACH A PICTURE FOR REFERENCE

RANDY TIAN
                        YOLONG BREWTECH
                        randy@yolongbrewtech.com;
                        Manufacture and Design of Cost-Effective, High-Quality Brewery Equipment. Custom or Ready to Ship, Craft beer& Commercial Brewing system.

Comment

as i noted above, brewery equipment i.e. brewhouse gear might not be on tarriff. but our tanks were definitely hit for 10%. we appealed, but havent gotten any money back so i'm assuming the appeal was denied.

guess it depends on the mix of equipment you are bringing in as to what code you can use.

good luck.

Comment

tariff issue

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
                            as i noted above, brewery equipment i.e. brewhouse gear might not be on tarriff. but our tanks were definitely hit for 10%. we appealed, but havent gotten any money back so i'm assuming the appeal was denied.

guess it depends on the mix of equipment you are bringing in as to what code you can use.

good luck.
                            It depend on the HS code you use when import from china.
                            even brewery tanks are belong to brewery equipment system. i am not sure which hs code you use ,or even you use 8438.40.00, you get denied by USA custom office?

Comment

Originally posted by randy tian View Post
                              It depend on the HS code you use when import from china.
                              even brewery tanks are belong to brewery equipment system. i am not sure which hs code you use ,or even you use 8438.40.00, you get denied by USA custom office?
                              All equipment went under the 8438.40.00 code. 2 full containers including steam boiler, chillers, keg washer/filler. Everything for turn key. You just have to make sure the exporter and importer know these facts.
                              Dan Carroll
                              Pleasant Valley Hops inc.
                              Prospect Point Brewing
                              Frederick md

Comment

Working...
                              X