Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any HDP DFC4 bottle filler users out there? I need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any HDP DFC4 bottle filler users out there? I need help.

Hello out there - I'm trying to dial in our HDP - DFC4 which we bought used and having a hell of a time. I've spoken a few times with the manufacturer and they've told me that it's up to me to figure out where my problems lie, not very friendly or helpful. So after wasting a lot of beer troubleshooting.....anyone got a second to chat?

Mainly I'm having a problem with foam being created in the bottle during the purge/vacuum/purge/counterpressure cycle. It seems like the CO2 pressure during this cycle forces all the beer out of the beer line and back through the valve and into the manifold, leaving behind foam. This small amount of foam is then forced into the bottle before clear beer can enter, making for a head of foam rising in the bottle. This foam then triggers the autofill level sensor to stop the beer flow prematurely, creating 70-80% short fills.

Is it normal for the beer to be pushed backwards into the manifold? Theoretically the valve is closed so where is this beer going?? Maybe all four valves are leaking?? (doubtful).

If anyone is out there operating this machine and has a second to chat on the phone I'd be super grateful. My Guatemala number is 502 4590-3844. You can PM me with a number and we can connect with WhatsApp, Skype, Messenger...I use them all.

Thanks!

We have this filler, and ran into the same problem you're having for quite a while. What is your head pressure on your brite tank, and what pressure are you feeding the bottling machine? We found that the pressure feeding the bottling machine should be no more than 10 psi higher than the head pressure on the brite tank, otherwise you will get beer pushing back on the bottling machine lines during the purge cycles, which will create foam during the start of the fill cycle.

Comment

I was wondering about that

Originally posted by marko View Post
      the pressure feeding the bottling machine should be no more than 10 psi higher than the head pressure on the brite tank
      Thanks for the quick reply!

When you say the pressure feeding the bottling machine you mean CO2 right? I have the CO2 set at 20 psi and the brite is at 16. Is this about what you're using
      Last edited by Ben Kent; 09-17-2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I found that getting the beer VERY cold helped a lot, even with the BBT set at 33f. I setup so that 1.5" hose ran to the machine, but then ran the tubing right before it entered the machine though a cooler filled with ice. I didn't use a coil because I didn't want to restrict the flow that much, but if you could find a large diameter one that may work.
        Also the set screws were over-tightened on the fill heads (used purchase) which bent the tubes inside, check for that. Fortunately my Phillips head screwdriver shaft was the perfect diameter to round it back out.
        Lastly, the optimal settings on each head will not be exactly the same.
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kent View Post
          When you say the pressure feeding the bottling machine you mean CO2 right? I have the CO2 set at 20 psi and the brite is at 16. Is this about what you're using
          That's correct, I mean CO2. Your settings seem fine (we feed the machine with 22 psi and have the brite at 15 psi). You're symptoms sounds like the problem we were having, but your CO2 settings look fine. I guess the only suggestion I can give you now is to try backing down the CO2 pressure to the machine until either it stops forcing the beer back up the tubes, or the machine complains that you don't have enough flow rate to supply it. Perhaps your regulator is off?

Comment

cold beer for sure

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
            I found that getting the beer VERY cold helped a lot
            Yep, my machine is on a roller cart and I use 6' of 1.5" to feed the filler. BBT is 32 deg. and the beer tastes every bit of 32 after the fill. I've checked for and found 5 leaks in the machine. All are fixed now. Gotta love used equipment!

Comment

Originally posted by marko View Post
              I guess the only suggestion I can give you now is to try backing down the CO2 pressure to the machine
              I've tried slowly lowering the CO2 to the point of not being able to achieve counterpressure and the fill cycle stopping due to lack of CO2 pressure. Didn't help. The "backflow" of beer up the beer fill line starts the very second the purge begins at a very low psi, maybe 5, and continues as the psi build in the bottle. Then you can see the beer/now foam being sucked into the bottle during vacuum. Then the process repeats itself on the 2nd purge and again on the counterpressure. Then the beer line takes a second to "clean itself up" and flow smooth during the fill cycle. All this compounds to create the foam that kicks off the sensor.

Trying to upload a video of the problem.

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X