Suggestions for a filter for a 2 BBL system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a filter for a 2 BBL system

Hello folks. Right now we are currently using Biofine Clear at a rate of 40ml/bbl with respectable results on our 2 barrel system. I am interested in polishing our beer using a filter, most likely a plate and frame but not sure what is available on the market for this size. Does anyone have any suggestions for a filter? The smallest that I have seen, that is not on the homebrew scale, is a 20X20 plate and frame filter. Thank you for any suggestions.

For that size, I would look at cartridge filtration system rather than a plate & sheet filter, preferably a coarse, then fine ones depending mainly on what micro quality you are looking for - so 10 micron or coarser to start with, then probably down to a 5, then maybe a 1, possibly even a 0.45 if you want it to be "sterile". But don't forget to allow for backflushing / cleaning, which normally require flow rates of 150% + of design forward flow rate, and for effective deoxygenation of the whole system before filtering beer.
    dick

Comment

We used to use biofine at that rate with decent although unpredictable success. We have since changed to a rate of 75-100 ml per Bbl, added at 40 degrees, CO2 mixed and then crashes to 32 degrees. This method has dropped almost every beer brite in 24 hours. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be sure to find a plate-and-frame that can hold up its end of a conversation – you will be spending a lot of time with it! I used to work at a meadery where we used one (they're pretty widely used in winemaking, which is where we got most of our processes), dealing with all those plates, setup and teardown were easily twice as much time as the actual filtering runs. Which isn't to say it's a deal-breaker, or even much worse than other filtering options (I wouldn't know; we also use only BioFine at my current gig, 90-250 mL/barrel depending on how much flaked/dryhop/etc is in the recipe), but you should certainly try and find somebody who's already got whatever hardware you're looking at and can give you a good idea about the commitment in person-hours before you pull the trigger, because it can be a serious time sink.

Comment

Working...
        X