Wax sealing bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax sealing bottles

We are thinking about wax sealing our Winter Imperial Beer this year. We have never wax sealed any bottles before, and were looking for recommendations on a "wax warmer", "wax applicator", and wax brand. Is anyone buying industrial equipment when starting out or just basic things? Our first run will be a 500 count of 750ML bottles. Thank you in advance!

Belfast

Brew craft USA has a good price on colored wax beads. They are a partner of country malt group. I like to mix them about 60/40 with bees wax for a better consistency. You will probably need 15-20 lbs total for a run of 500 bottles, depends on how deep you dip and such. As far as equipment, go to a thrift store a buy 2 crock pots to melt in. Hand dipping ain't hard once you get the flow of it. One person can do 10-12 bottles per minute. Feel free to mail me a bottle or 2!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Pivo View Post
      Brew craft USA has a good price on colored wax beads. They are a partner of country malt group. I like to mix them about 60/40 with bees wax for a better consistency. You will probably need 15-20 lbs total for a run of 500 bottles, depends on how deep you dip and such. As far as equipment, go to a thrift store a buy 2 crock pots to melt in. Hand dipping ain't hard once you get the flow of it. One person can do 10-12 bottles per minute. Feel free to mail me a bottle or 2!
      Thank you Richard! It is a deal if we do end up doing it, I'll hold two back for you.

Belfast

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Pivo View Post
        As far as equipment, go to a thrift store a buy 2 crock pots to melt in.
        That's because you'll never want to use these crock-pots for anything else again. :-)
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

We are also looking at wax sealing bottles and had a follow-up question on process steps. We are concerned about waxing cold or possible damp bottles so we are thinking the process should go as follows; bottle cold, cap, rinse, allow bottles to dry and 'warm' to cellar temp (60-65F), apply labels, apply wax, return to cellar or back in refer. Thoughts?

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by MSBrew1 View Post
            We are also looking at wax sealing bottles and had a follow-up question on process steps. We are concerned about waxing cold or possible damp bottles so we are thinking the process should go as follows; bottle cold, cap, rinse, allow bottles to dry and 'warm' to cellar temp (60-65F), apply labels, apply wax, return to cellar or back in refer. Thoughts?

Jerry
            I have only ever wax sealed bottles that are at room temperature. (We do bottle conditioning.) I assume that you are counter pressure filling since your beer is cold. I would not let it warm to room temp personally. Try wiping of any moisture with a towel and dip a few bottles. Taste them in a week or two and see if there are any negative effects. I don't think it should be a problem though.

Comment

Working...
            X