Thread: Wax sealing bottles

Wax sealing bottles

We are thinking about wax sealing our Winter Imperial Beer this year. We have never wax sealed any bottles before, and were looking for recommendations on a "wax warmer", "wax applicator", and wax brand. Is anyone buying industrial equipment when starting out or just basic things? Our first run will be a 500 count of 750ML bottles. Thank you in advance!

Belfast

Brew craft USA has a good price on colored wax beads. They are a partner of country malt group. I like to mix them about 60/40 with bees wax for a better consistency. You will probably need 15-20 lbs total for a run of 500 bottles, depends on how deep you dip and such. As far as equipment, go to a thrift store a buy 2 crock pots to melt in. Hand dipping ain't hard once you get the flow of it. One person can do 10-12 bottles per minute. Feel free to mail me a bottle or 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pivo View Post
    Brew craft USA has a good price on colored wax beads. They are a partner of country malt group. I like to mix them about 60/40 with bees wax for a better consistency. You will probably need 15-20 lbs total for a run of 500 bottles, depends on how deep you dip and such. As far as equipment, go to a thrift store a buy 2 crock pots to melt in. Hand dipping ain't hard once you get the flow of it. One person can do 10-12 bottles per minute. Feel free to mail me a bottle or 2!
    Thank you Richard! It is a deal if we do end up doing it, I'll hold two back for you.

Belfast

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pivo View Post
    As far as equipment, go to a thrift store a buy 2 crock pots to melt in.
    That's because you'll never want to use these crock-pots for anything else again. :-)
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"