Unfiltered Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfiltered Operations

Hi I've recently taken a headbrewer job in an 8 barrel brewpub , I've come from working in a bigger brewery on the west coast where we had a centrifuge, the brewpub doesn't have a centrifuge or any kind of filter, they've never done dry hopped beer before but want to.

I am worried about hop crap getting through to the final beer, we have a bbt, and they said they'll give me all the time i need to produce the beer , do you think I'll be able to get away with bottoming the tank bit by bit each day after the fermentation and dh are complete and then transfer to the bbt and bottom it some more? Keg straight from the tank then

Has anyone any experience in a similar set up? Quite worried at the moment that my first batch of IPA is gonna be full of hop bits

You'll be fine. We have a 7 bbl brewpub, no filtration, no centrifuge. Standard fermenters and brites. I have made IPAs with about 2 lbs/bbl in the kettle and 1.5 lbs/bbl in the dry hop, and I can still get clear beer from that with consistent crashing and dropping of dry hops. When I go above that ratio I get into hazy IPA territory, definitely not clear, but I still don't have chunks of hops in the beer if I crash for a few days in the fermenter and let it sit 2 days in the brite before kegging.

Good luck.
    Last edited by backslope; 09-23-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by backslope View Post
      You'll be fine. We have a 7 bbl brewpub, no filtration, no centrifuge. Standard fermenters and brites. I have made IPAs with about 2 lbs/bbl in the kettle and 1.5 lbs/bbl in the dry hop, and I can still get clear beer from that with consistent crashing and dropping of dry hops. When I go above that ratio I get into hazy IPA territory, definitely not clear, but I still don't have chunks of hops in the beer if I crash for a few days in the fermenter and let it sit 2 days in the brite before kegging.

Good luck.
      Thank you very much, that does ease the mind, so you're crashing about 72 hours in fv while bottoming and then another 48 hours or so in the Brite? Do you have a Carbing stone on the bbt? Thanks

Comment

Yes, my standard procedure is 3 days crashed in the fv, dropping 1- 3 times depending on the hop load, and then 2 days in the brite. For very heavily dry hopped beers I will sometime let sit crashed for up to 5 days in the fv and up to 4 days in the brite to really help clear it up, but typically my SOPs work well for most of my beers. Your results may vary.

Yes, I do have a carb stone in the brite.

Also, I use whirl floc in the kettle, but no other fining agents.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by backslope View Post
          Yes, my standard procedure is 3 days crashed in the fv, dropping 1- 3 times depending on the hop load, and then 2 days in the brite. For very heavily dry hopped beers I will sometime let sit crashed for up to 5 days in the fv and up to 4 days in the brite to really help clear it up, but typically my SOPs work well for most of my beers. Your results may vary.

Yes, I do have a carb stone in the brite.

Also, I use whirl floc in the kettle, but no other fining agents.

Good luck.
          Thank you ! Much appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X