Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with kegs and acidic taste after 2-3 months.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with kegs and acidic taste after 2-3 months.

Good morning,
    I've had some strange problems recently with reused metal 30L kegs. I clean them by hand with profesional cleaning products, a profesional cleaning procedure and inspect inside with a torch after to make sure they are very clean. I spend lots of time on this to avoid having dirty kegs.

The problem I'm experiencing is some kegs from the same batch of beer have an acidic taste to it. This seems random and happens to random batches. Not every batch. I've also noticed with the bottle beers this has happened to random bottles in the same batch too. I keg and bottle from the same lot. All at atmosphere brewing, using dextrose for barrel and bottle conditioning.

What could be causing the acidic flavour? Is it due to bad cleaning? Beer going bad after 2-3 month? I have no cold room for storage so bottles and kegs are stored at 20 degrees. Could it be the storing temperature?

Any help most appreciated as can't seem to find the problem.

Cheers,

Sounds pretty typical of bacteria in a warm environment with nutrients. Cleaning is half the battle. Sanitizing and sanitary practices are the other half. Cold room to keep bacteria down, and eliminate conditioning "bacteria food" would help.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thanks for your reply,

So If I'm sure my cleaning and sanitising procedure is good then the problem most possible comes from the yeast still alive in the bottle/keg (from bottle conditioning) which continues to ferment and possible creating this acidic taste? a 10 degree's Celsius store room would help product life right?

Comment

It's not yeast but bacteria. So it is you whole brewery hygiene that needs drastically improving - including new yeast cultures if you are repitching.
        dick

Comment

Over carbonated...

Comment

Working...
          X