No announcement yet.

Boil Kettle Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are much bigger direct fire kettles out there. Didn't Stroh's advertise being "fire brewed" a few years back?

In your all planning on converting these tanks to fire brewed kettles did you consider making a flame heated external colandria, thus avoiding many of the issues at the kettle itself?

Comment

A local brewery found out the hard way about scorching in this design. They couldn't effectively insulate the outlet pipe, since the firebox didn't have much access. And it's their only port. What they ended up doing is continuously circulating wort through the bottom port during the boil, which avoids scorching and buildup. It's not perfect, but it works. But definitely put a new kettle high on your list of upgrades once your brewery takes off. Cheers.

Comment

I'll provide some feedback on how it goes in the coming weeks. It was delivered this week and will be up and running next week.

The bottom drainage was wrapped in ceramic insulation and then had ss plate welded around it to provide protection.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Quick update on this. So far so good. Two batches down and it's working great. No sign of burnt flavours, keeping a very close eye on that aspect. But so far it has exceeded expectations. Gets a great rolling boil.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X