Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take to chill wort in the kettle from boiling to kettle sour temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take to chill wort in the kettle from boiling to kettle sour temps?

Greetings everyone, I am curious how long it takes you to chill wort from boiling to lactobacillus pitch temperature in the kettle. I was able to do this in about a half hour with our 3.5bbl system but have found that with my current setup/practice on our new 10bbl system it is taking 1.5-2 hours. Im going from 220* on the read out down to 100* in that amount of time. I would even like to get down to 95* but im settling for 100* due to length of time. Any insight is much appreciated, cheers!

The problem is that as you get closer to the cold side temperature, the rate of heat exchange goes down fast. Plus, if you are using a cold liquor tank, you end up using all your cold liquor and not really heating it up for hot liquor, wasting a lot of water, energy, and time.

A quicker way is to knock out at around 105 F into a sanitized fermenter, and then pump back to the kettle. Then you can be done in ~45 min without wasting a lot of cold liquor.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by lhall View Post
      The problem is that as you get closer to the cold side temperature, the rate of heat exchange goes down fast. Plus, if you are using a cold liquor tank, you end up using all your cold liquor and not really heating it up for hot liquor, wasting a lot of water, energy, and time.

A quicker way is to knock out at around 105 F into a sanitized fermenter, and then pump back to the kettle. Then you can be done in ~45 min without wasting a lot of cold liquor.
      Ya if you have a 2-vessel system do this. On my 10bbl 2-vessel, I recirculate from the Kettle through heat ex and back to kettle. Takes a little over an hour to get to 95. On my 3-vessel 30bbl, I send all the wort over to the whirlpool, then through heat ex into empty kettle...much quicker.

Comment

kettle sour

5BBL here. Took over an hour to get down to 95 degrees from kettle to Hx back to kettle. My theory is that you are also chilling the mass of the kettle, takes a lot longer than just chilling liquid. I now "kettle" sour in my FV. Hx takes 20 min, can move quickly into FV when only going to 95-100 degrees. I pitch dry lacto into fermenter after hx, sours in 12 hours, I then drop temp into FV to 70, then hit it with O2 for a bit, then pitch yeast. The reason I now sour in FV is that I know its really clean, try as I might I was never confident in how clean the BK was. Souring used to take 48 hours, now 12. Dont know why, maybe its where I take the sample for ph reading?? It works for me and I think the flavor is cleaner. As far as cleaning the FV I just use straight lacto planatarum (wildbrew) and its easy enough to inhibit with a tiny bit of hops, let alone a full hot caustic clean after breakdown. I think the lacto doesnt sour effectively at 5IBU or higher. After ferment I move to our servers that also get a full hot caustic clean after a sour as well as a line clean and faucet clean, unless another sour goes on after in which it falls to our normal cleaning schedule. Haven't had any contamination issues (knocks on wood)

Comment

Working...
        X