Floating trub and hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating trub and hops

Last 3-4 brews On 10bbl system, I finish my boil, and start my whirlpool, and half my trub is floating to the top, and won’t settle out. Floats like a big giant garbage blob. I can’t fogure out why. Tried so slower, faster, all I can think of. It’s just started. Never been problem before. Anybody got any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Cheer,

Trent

Are you using Irish moss or any other kettle finnings? Sounds like coagulated proteins. What is your kettle design like?

Comment

Hi Trent,
      Check you recirc pump seal health. If the seal is needing to be replaced it could be whipping ambient air into the whirlpool causing the floaters.

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Thanks Dave,

I’ll check that out

TP

Comment

Kettle thermals?

I've seen this on systems that are direct fired right to the last second before whirlpool. The base of the direct fire kettle is thick and retains enough heat to cause convection currents to stir things up. You don't need the whirlpool to start immediately after flame-out. Try a 2 minute rest after flameout and before whirlpool. Hard to make a trub cone on top of a red-hot plate of metal. Good luck!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

>Hi Trent,
            >Check you recirc pump seal health. If the seal is needing to be replaced it could be whipping ambient air into the whirlpool causing the floaters.
            >
            >Prost!
            >Dave

Seconding this. We started using the kettle transfer pump instead the HX pump and the same issue stopped immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
              Hi Trent,
              Check you recirc pump seal health. If the seal is needing to be replaced it could be whipping ambient air into the whirlpool causing the floaters.

Prost!
              Dave
              Seconding this. We started using the kettle transfer pump instead of our HX pump and the same issue (trub floating) stopped immediately.

Comment

I believe I'm having the same problem. Did anyone notice that this also lowers the taste of the whirlpool hops?

Comment

• Dheeraj
                  Dheeraj commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is your hop dosage gms/Liter, Width and Height ratio of whirlpool & pumping speed/Velocity of whirlpool? Most of the whirlpooling issues are related with the Width and Height ratio of whirlpool & pumping speed/Velocity.
              Working...
              X