Thread: Floating trub and hops

Floating trub and hops

Last 3-4 brews On 10bbl system, I finish my boil, and start my whirlpool, and half my trub is floating to the top, and wonít settle out. Floats like a big giant garbage blob. I canít fogure out why. Tried so slower, faster, all I can think of. Itís just started. Never been problem before. Anybody got any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Cheer,

Trent

Are you using Irish moss or any other kettle finnings? Sounds like coagulated proteins. What is your kettle design like?

Hi Trent,
    Check you recirc pump seal health. If the seal is needing to be replaced it could be whipping ambient air into the whirlpool causing the floaters.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    glacierbrewing@bresnan.net

"who said what now?"

Thanks Dave,

Iíll check that out

TP

Kettle thermals?

I've seen this on systems that are direct fired right to the last second before whirlpool. The base of the direct fire kettle is thick and retains enough heat to cause convection currents to stir things up. You don't need the whirlpool to start immediately after flame-out. Try a 2 minute rest after flameout and before whirlpool. Hard to make a trub cone on top of a red-hot plate of metal. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

>Hi Trent,
    >Check you recirc pump seal health. If the seal is needing to be replaced it could be whipping ambient air into the whirlpool causing the floaters.
    >
    >Prost!
    >Dave

Seconding this. We started using the kettle transfer pump instead the HX pump and the same issue stopped immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
    Hi Trent,
    Check you recirc pump seal health. If the seal is needing to be replaced it could be whipping ambient air into the whirlpool causing the floaters.

Prost!
    Dave
    Seconding this. We started using the kettle transfer pump instead of our HX pump and the same issue (trub floating) stopped immediately.